1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school editor The News & Observer in Raleigh, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by stever, Apr 21, 2015.

1. stever

stever New Member

The News & Observer has an opening for a high school sports editor with responsibility for assigning free-lance sports reporters and community sports editors on daily and long-term high school stories, brainstorming ideas for enterprise and driving content online.

It will take a leader to fill this position, someone with original ideas, the ability to handle print and digital journalism with imagination and the ability to envision and deliver special stories that readers will always remember.

The high school editor helps reporters set agendas for their beats, creating and executing coverage plans and coordinating with the editors from the photo, the community, metro, online and print staffs. We want an editor who can shape a story with a reporter while using all the digital tools available.

Vision, flexibility, organization, communication and technological savvy are all vital.

The high school sports editor closely with the community sports editors on daily and weekly coverage.

Editor must have an eye for enterprise and the ability to contribute high-impact stories.

We ask reporters to break news online first and develop stories throughout the day, into print and beyond.

If you are interested, contact sports editor Steve Ruinsky at sruinsky@newsobserver.com or 919 829 4530

2. awriter

awriter Active Member

Any writing involved or is this strictly a desk job?

3. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Has this been filled yet?

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Sent my resume and clips to Steve, hadn't heard back yet. Not sure.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Some writing, mostly notebooks and features and the occasional column. Game coverage is typically handled by the community reporters and freelancers.

6. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Is the salary above 30K. I would be moving from Midwest, but don't want to waste anybody's time if salary is under 30K.

7. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

I would hope so. It's a metro paper that covers a fairly wide region.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'm sure the salary's higher than that. Probably 40-45K, pure speculating?

9. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

Clippers Logo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted