1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rock & Roll: Dead?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Apr 21, 2015.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I highly recommend an up and comer named Reignwolf (real name is Jordan Cook, I think): reignwolf | Free Listening on SoundCloud. He doesn't have much stuff out yet, but what I've heard is terrific.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hey, that's pretty cool.

I used to be active on SoundCloud. I need to get back on there.

I also signed up with BandCamp but never really got started with it.

I've been on the wagon almost since October, and I tend not to play or record much when I'm not indulging.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Alabama Shakes
    St Paul and the Broken Bones (though that's soul, not rock)
    Gary Clark Jr.

FileNotFound likes this.
  4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Derek Trucks is my favourite guitarist right now. Love Gary Clark, Jr., his live album made up for his first album which had some high points but was really all over the place. That guy can play too.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Excellent call, very impressed by what I have heard from these guys.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I find Gary Clark, Jr., to be quite incredible. I've listened to him more in the past year or so than any other band. I can also see how he could be really hard to market, given the variety of sounds/styles he plays.

7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

if rock is dead, I don't care, but I did find Gary Clark Jr. because of this thread. Very cool stuff

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I didn't recognize the name, but looking him up, I see that I saw him play at the Crossroads Festival in 2010.

Good stuff.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I guess I'm in the minority, because I think Kendrick Lamar is brilliant. Can't get enough of that new album, especially King Kunta and Alright. Also love the Run the Jewels album and the new Action Bronson. Wouldn't call any of them mainstream rap, if that's even a thing. Drake sucks.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Yup. Feels like the rap that Lamar, Killer Mike, Chance the Rapper and even Kanye are making at this point has become its own niche music. I'm fine with that. It's never going to be the mainstream again. I feel like there's a real parallel between where rock was in about 1980 and where rap is now.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Three points:

* Isbell is the absolute best. Unfairly good. To be an incredible wordsmith and guitar slinger is just piling on.

* Saw St. Paul and the Broken Bones a few months ago. What I learned from that show: Women LOVE good soul music.

* The Black Crowes were the last great rock 'n' roll band.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

God damned right about the Crowes. My favorite band.

Draft saved Draft deleted