1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laying off journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UNCGrad, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's honest, and a good read. He doesn't make any excuses or rationalize what he had to do, which was refreshing.

2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Sent the link to a friend who was a long-time employee at a Tribune Co. newspaper and did not survive one of the many rounds of layoffs there. His response: "The writer showed more sensitivity and compassion in an article that took a few minutes to read than Sam Zell and Randy Michaels did over a few years of cutting jobs and destroying people's lives."

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I'm still traumatized about being laid off in 2011. Always thought I'd leave on my terms. Instead I landed at a paper and a market I hate with no hope for improvement unless I move again.

Management wasn't remorseful like this guy was and ended up getting laid off themselves. To hell with them.

Shortly after I was laid off I was talking g with an inlaw, a CO who had laid off thousands is career. No remorse at all. To hell with him, too.

4. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Great read.

I experienced both sides of this (been laid off and had to tell someone they've been laid off) all by the age of 29. This business is not for the faint-of-heart.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

So much anger. So much bitterness. Such a waste of energy. Let it go.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was called down to HR on a day when fellow employees were being laid off to be told I wasn't being laid off.

That was weird. And not at all scary.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

As if they thought you wouldn't be leaving on your own, right?

8. DeskMonkey1

Despite medication, therapy and half-assed suicide attempt last year, the only way I'll be able to is to escape the situation. At my last count, I have applied for no fewer than 30 jobs over the past year or two. Four interviews led nowhere. I'm hoping the freelance work I mentioned in a post a few weeks back will lead me out of it but in the meantime, we're on public assistance, a reality we didn't face before I was laid off.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A pretty good way to light that fire.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

DeskMonkey,

Four interviews for 30 jobs is a realyl good success rate. As long as your are not the guy picking his nose during the job interview, it means you are close. May not hurt to circly back and say you really liked what you say at those companies and keep you in mind if something else opens up.

Last two people I hired in my previous role were guys we had interviewed for different roles they didn't get. Both wound up getting better jobs.

The best route to success is to try to make a connection. Reach out the the hiring manager, find someone who knows the hiring manager, anything you can do. Or find a place you think you'd fit in and send a resume for jobs that aren't posted. Ask if you can come talk about possible jobs.

Chin up.

Baron Scicluna and FileNotFound like this.
  11. DeskMonkey1

Oh, NOW you tell me.

30 was an extreme conservative guess, although it's probably accurate if you only count the number of jobs I put extra effort into the application process. One of those four was for a half-assed application. Essentially, I hit apply now on LinkedIn and didn't even send a cover letter. Another was one where they contact me initially.

12. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

As a fortunate survivor of this regime, it would not bother me to never hear their names again. Same for that dipshit who kept sending out stream of conscious e-mails.

Back to on-topic responses.

Draft saved Draft deleted