1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Dalton, GA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Seeking talented sports editor

Date Posted: April 22, 2015
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable

Description:

The Daily Citizen, an 11,000 circulation newspaper in Dalton, Ga., has an opening for a sports editor in a three-person sports department. Our focus is on local sports in our two-county area, which includes eight high schools and Dalton State College, a growing NAIA program which won the 2015 NAIA Division I men's basketball championship and is adding men's soccer this fall. Along with strong writing skills, knowledge of AP style and an ability to manage a department, you should have a background in layout and design. Only candidates with extensive pagination experience will be considered. We publish a weekly high school football section during the regular season, and a sports podcast is produced weekly for most of the year. Send a cover letter, résumé and writing/pagination samples (3-5 each) to managing editor Jamie Jones at jamiejones@daltoncitizen.com. No phone calls please.

2. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Which means Marty Kirkland, who was sports editor there for a decade, moved on. Congratulations to him. Very big shoes to fill here. I worked for Marty for two and a half years. He was a great boss.

I'll say it hasn't been a "three-person sports department" much since August. People have circulated in and out all school year. Hopefully, they fill this position and the open sports writer spot instead of leaving it to jack-of-all-trades Chris Whitfield.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I had a cup of coffee here for a FB season back in the day. Great town, good paper.

4. JosephMyers

JosephMyers Member

Worked here as my first full-time gig back in 1998. High school sports is king and with Dalton State going to four years and joining the NAIA, there will be more chances for covering stuff. Jamie Jones, the managing editor, has been there forever and is a good guy as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted