1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People Magazine: Jenner "transitioning into a woman"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CowboyCasanova, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

He'd have to really hate himself to do this as a publicity stunt. I figured you'd be more accepting, Dick.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What am I not accepting? I am skeptical about his sincerity.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why?

He's got to live as a woman for a year before the surgery.

4. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I'd be more skeptical about this had Hejira not said on Page 1 of this thread that he'd heard the buzz that this was a thing back in the early 80s around the track circles. To me, that makes it clearer that this has been a long time coming and not just a stunt.

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

That was a fantastic interview, really educational.
    Bruce answered every possible question the viewer could possibly have, and did it with grace. Also talked about how he took female hormones in the 80s for five years, before realizing he was too afraid to go through with it. No possible way this is a stunt.
    I sure hope this at least caused hordes of skeptical or closed-minded viewers to be a bit more empathetic, the way we saw an evolution in this space years ago when one of our beloved own struggled with transitioning.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Only a cynic who didn't watch the interview.

It's been known for years. He even admits a story that the Enquirer worked years ago: That he was on female hormones and grew 36D breasts back in the late 80s.

7. Dick Whitman

I'll take your words. You watched it. Others I've talked to came away thinking he was sincere, as well.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I was really getting tired of Diane Sawyer acting incredulous at everything Jenner said. She was like Chappelle impersonating Ed Bradley interviewing Monica Lewinsky.

If I were to doubt his sincerity, I think the 30 years of taking hormones might have been a game-changer. I wish, for his sake, that he'd be allowed to ese into it without cameras in his face at every turn. But I know that's not going to happen.

9. Dick Whitman

You wouldn't think that would happen to a guy who signed up for a reality TV freak show with the widow of O.J. Simpson's accomplice.

doctorquant likes this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Your compassion meter is really dipping below zero on this one.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A chill ran up Caleb Hannan's spine when Bruce Jenner admitted he was... a Republican!

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It's unbelievable to me how anyone who was home and could have watched that interview would not have been doing it. It really was that compelling.

It was made all the more so because, yes, Bruce Jenner really was a big deal back when he won the Olympic decathlon. It's hard to relate how much so to someone who wasn't around or old enough to remember him then, but it's true. He truly was the image of the accomplished All-American guy.

That makes this issue still very difficult to understand, and to get your mind around, and I think that showed in the brevity and "surface-ishness" (my word) of some of the answers as Jenner tried, with varying degrees of success, I thought, to explain. But it was compelling in the grappling, nonetheless.

I was struck, once again, by the seeming sincerity and genuineness of Jenner's feelings, and with his compassion and understanding of others -- particularly his family, but really, with everyone -- in their efforts to deal with it. I was also impressed with that of others -- again, particularly his family, and yes, that is including the Kardashians.

Whether this turns out to be the right or the wrong thing for Jenner, there apparently is, so far, a surprising maturity about it among all who are most closely and most importantly involved and impacted.

I think the reality of a complete change has, perhaps, still not fully impacted anybody yet, though. For now, everyone -- including even, still, probably, Bruce -- is still seeing Bruce Jenner as Bruce Jenner.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    Dyno and Inky_Wretch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted