1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't think the league office hates the Royals. I just haven't seen anyone who knows what Herrera did this time around. Like Big Circus said, there was probably something, but nobody really knows what. I'm also surprised the Sale trying to get into the clubhouse thing isn't a bigger deal, which isn't really a Royals issue at all.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm reading that he threw a punch in the fight. Certainly seems plausible.

Also, in the interest of completeness, Tyler Flowers also got fined, but not suspended.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is still very early, which is particularly significant given that age and injury are among the primary concerns for that team. Just like last season, they key is going to be keeping Beltran, Ellsbury, Gardner, McCann and Teixeira healthy. Having so many players with legitimate questions about their health is a long-term issue.

I'm not sure if they really are worse on paper than last year. They lost Jeter, but he was a shell of his former self in 2014. Headley seemed like he would at least be a decent option at third base. They have gotten pretty good production so far from Rodriguez and Teixeira, more than many would have expected "on paper." Maybe Teixeira really is healthy for the first time since the wrist injury and he hits 35 home runs. Or maybe he breaks down in the second half like last year.

4. outofplace

Another shocking development for the Yankees today. Teixeira actually hit a single.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think it's worse on paper than last year. Headley is a corner infielder who only has one season with more than 13 HRs, Stephen Drew at 2B has a career OBP of .322, Didi Gregorious blows and was seen as a defensive upgrade but already has a few errors.

Even if you think it's not worse than last year's team on paper, it's certainly not better, and the 2014 Yankees were 14th in the AL in runs scored. So it's fair to say this team was expected to be among the worst offenses in the AL this season (and that may still be the result, for all I know). I'm not drawing any big conclusions from this early offense, but I thought it was interesting to note.

No question age and injury will be factors for this team. The production from A-Rod and Teixeira has been a big surprise, and they'll need it to continue in the second half if they want to contend.

6. outofplace

I don't even remember. Who did the Yankees have at third base and second base heading into last season? I read quite a few positive projections for Headley based on the way he finished last season. Gregorious isn't much, but he was projected to be better than this, at least a defensive upgrade.

It does seem like a bit of a stretch for Rodriguez and Teixeira to stay healthy the entire season. That is why the early-season success seems so tenuous to me. Even Ellsbury is 31 and he has been hurt quite a bit in his career.

7. bigpern23

Brian Roberts got the majority of the playing time at 2B, though Drew also saw time there. Headley is who he is at this point in his career. He wasn't going to suddenly become anything more than a serviceable hitter. He's solid defensively at 3B, though, so that's where his value lies.

Again, I'm not extrapolating this fast start out across the entire season, but it has been a pleasant surprise, especially after they started 3-4 on their opening homestand.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  8. bigpern23

Oh, and OOP, what's up with your boy McCutchen? I have him on my fantasy squad and he's gotten off to a pretty slow start.

9. outofplace

Only Pirate I'm worried about is Marte, for exactly the same reason you care about McCutchen's numbers.

McCutchen has had slow starts before. He always gets his numbers, though I think he's a tad overrated for fantasy purposes.

10. outofplace

Adam Wainwright left his start tonight in Milwaukee with what the Cardinals are calling an ankle injury. I've read some mixed reports. Supposedly, looked more like an Achilles injury and he couldn't walk on it at all. That could be the difference between missing a few weeks with a sprained ankle or the rest of the season with a torn Achilles tendon.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Fans at Orioles game stuck in stadium.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

We briefly considered going to the O's game tonight, but didn't because the weather isn't particularly nice. Lucked out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted