1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part-time sports copy editor, Sun Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bronco77, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

One from my region of the country.

It's part-time, but the guy who'd been doing this job was just promoted into a fulltime position, so there's an opportunity for advancement.

I've posted a link underneath the ad that will take you to the company site to begin the application process.

JOB DESCRIPTION

Sun Sentinel is seeking a part-time Copy Editor to join our team!

We are looking for an experienced sports copy editor who is able to hit the ground running on our busy production desk.

Make no mistake: This is a demanding position. The successful candidate will be able to work at high speed without sacrificing quality, and to display sound judgment under intense deadline pressure -- every day.

JOB REQUIREMENTS
    Among the essential attributes, you must be able to:

• Edit copy with attention to the rules of grammar, usage, punctuation and AP style, and with attention to tone, clarity, accuracy, fairness, libel and privacy;
    • Edit pages for visual conflicts;
    • Write creative headlines that reflect the facts and tone of the report;
    • Write cutlines that inform readers in a clear and concise manner;
    • Design, proof and typeset pages that attract and inform readers;
    • Meet deadlines for print page flow;
    • Maintain a broad knowledge of current sports and news events as an aid in news judgment;
    • Demonstrate strong news-gathering skills, contributing to the process of story conception, photo editing and graphics development.

You will need at least five years' production experience on a daily newspaper to be considered for this position.

PI89756220

JOB SNAPSHOT
    Employment TypePart-Time
    Job TypeMedia - Journalism - Newspaper
    EducationNot Specified
    ExperienceNot Specified
    Manages OthersNot Specified
    IndustryArt - Photography - Journalism, Newspaper, Printing - Publishing
    Required TravelNot Specified
    Job ID22392829

Copy Editor Jobs in Fort Lauderdale, FL - Sun Sentinel Media Group

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That place treated me great for 26 years. But these days half the section cannot even be edited because it's done in Chicago.

Waldo9939 likes this.
  3. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Can someone define part-time hours in this instance? To me, it's anywhere between 20-32 hours. But every place is different I've found out.

4. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Would have to check with my contacts there to know for sure, but I think it's four shifts per week, six- or seven-hour shifts.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Five years' experience is a lot to ask for a part-time gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted