1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear dimwit on the phone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not really a "Dear Dimwit," just an oddity. Took a baseball call-in tonight where the coach described a key play in the seventh inning.
    Runner slides into second on a fielder's choice, collides with the second baseman's leg and is basically knocked unconscious. An ambulance had to come and get him, causing a 40-minute delay. It was believed to be a stinger and he's believed to be OK.
    While the guy is laid out on the ground, he wasn't on the bag so the second baseman tags him. After everything settles down, there was apparently some debate on whether the runner should have been safe or not because of the injury. The final ruling was, the runner was out.

The coach calling in was the one whose team was in the field, and he was unapologetic about it to the point of being funny.
    "It's just like if I have a heart attack and drop over dead on the ground. Someone tags me and I'm out," he said. "I felt bad. I know it sounds callous, but time hadn't been called. I'm just praying the kid is OK and we got a lucky break."

jpetrie18 likes this.
  2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Coach calls in after deadline. Me: "Where you calling from?" Him: "The house." God bless.

Spartan Squad and HanSenSE like this.
  3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Regarding the softball chants, I watch the Women's CWS a little bit during the dog days of summer, and it stuns me that college women are still doing those chants. Seems so juvenile for a fairly important event.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    KYSportsWriter likes this.
  4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

E-mail version.
    Just got a message from an area athletic director whose high school hosted a track meet today.
    AD apologized, said someone made a mistake when inputting the results for the meet. Now all that agate and the recaps have to be retyped, proofed again and put on the page.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Cheerleaders do the same thing, and many well-beyond-college-age fans at football games start chants during games, too.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Good point. Just didn't expect it, I guess. But I don't think cheerleaders actually do "cheers" in college, do they? And except for soccer, most chants are pretty brief and more along the lines of taunting the other team.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Good grief yes, cheerleaders lead cheers in college. And other adults join in.

Not restricted to cheerleaders, either: I think "the wave" is about the dumbest thing you can do at a sporting event, but my God, thousands of people live for it.

Even the FSU baseball games have a section of season ticketholders that regularly lead chants during those games. They're definitely beyond college years. When I was at TCC, my algebra professor was a member.

Juvenile? Maybe. But it exists. Heck, my mom is 71 and her teams still do it.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

No different than the great non-racist Euro chants everyone gets so hard for.
    I covered NCAA D-II softball and the chants were an off-day feature. Pretty fun story; because kids came from different parts of the state and/or other states, everyone had brought their own chants. Still love the "Holy Cow, That Ball's foul, MOOO-ve it over!"

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not directed at the proud mama who sent in the photo, but dear dimwit organizers of an under-12 travel ball tournament: Championship rings? Are you effing kidding me?

10. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

We're getting bombarded with tweets from an overzealous daddy touting Johnny Fumblefingers, the daddy-proclaimed next great WR. The latest: "After an outstanding camp at West Bumblefuck, he will make his debut at the WeTakeYourMoney Camp at East Bumblefuck." The kicker: He's in the Class of 2019

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I don't know what makes me laugh harder, the fact the organizers actually did this or the thought of them bragging to their friends that they splurged for the rings.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Cheapie rings, most likely something you'd find in what we called a dime store back in the day, but I fear this will be The Next Big Thing in youth sports swag, since trophies and orange slices for everyone is not enough sometimes. And that's my sportsjournalists.com public service message for the day.

spikechiquet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted