1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Americans Season 3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bold move not having Martha in the finale.

I thought that the scene with Philip and Stan's ex was just fantastic, as was the follow up with Elizabeth.

I hope that Pastor Tim isn't from the Centre, because that would be the end of Paige.

The only plot that I really haven't liked this year was that with Nina. She's gorgeous and a good actor, but it just didn't work for me.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Nina storyline has been dull.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But necessary, right?

I don't know if it was worth as much time as it took, but the gut-punch to Stan when he found out he wasn't even helping her was a big moment.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think it is necessary for two reasons:

1. Exactly what you said. Stan's situation is much more emotional when the audience is reminded of Nina directly.

B. The show has earned my trust, so I believe there is more that will happen in which Nina plays a key role.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Although, if I don't see somebody get shot with Martha's gun next season I will lose a little trust in the writers.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Tim Goodman had a good summary of the season. Okay, Paige squeals - but nothing on Kimmy or Martha? Good thing they'll be back for another year, but damn, if they weren't - what a sucky ending.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Fair question though: Should the principle of Chekov's Gun always apply? At some point, doesn't is become cliche to assume the gun shown in the first act has to go off down the road?

Not disagreeing, just musing.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She doesn't seem like someone who would have a gun, so she better get busy with it.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

She works at the FBI where she's around people carrying everyday. Her coworker/fuck buddy was killed and she lives alone in "Murder Capital" era DC. I don't think it's that weird to think she'd own a gun.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think the season finale was kind of reserved solely because they knew they had another season early. (The head of FX also said he sees it as a five season show, minimum, although obviously things can be pretty fluid when it comes to TV.) So, you get slow burns and dangling plot threads when it comes to Martha and Kimmy, and Nina-in-Russia seems like it's going to continue for another season at least. I also love all of the subtle, cold reality stuff that's present throughout the show - As others have mentioned, Stan's swap not being approved (which always struck me as silly, since why would the CIA/FBI care that much about her?), and Elizabeth ignoring the reserved pleas of her husband once Reagan gives the Evil Empire speech.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The show is in early 1983 right now. Figure it could go through to the Reyjavik summit easily and perhaps if they dare - the collapse of the USSR if they go bold.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That is a fair question, but I think it focuses on the physical aspect of Chekov's gun.
    The larger point is that good writers do not introduce plot elements that do not advance the story some how. There has to be a reason for it.
    So far, there is no reason they showed us the gun, which they did quite expressly and deliberately.

Draft saved Draft deleted