1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People Magazine: Jenner "transitioning into a woman"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CowboyCasanova, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's true. I've actually been skipping it lately. Got a session in on Saturday (yesterday) and that's about it.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes, but it seems impossible to me to reconcile being attracted to women AS A MAN with an existential belief that you're a woman.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We'd have to know what they'd be like absent Bruce's influence to know how he did, I suppose.

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

If that were true, he wouldn't have signed on for his new reality series, premiering July 26 on E, that focuses on his transition and life as a woman.

Bruce Jenner Reality Show Will Show Life as a Transgender Woman

5. YankeeFan

I don't understand the backlash.

If Bruce was going to actually live as a woman, it was going to be obvious to observers. The guy -- as we say with his recent car accident -- is followed by paparazzi.

So, he does an interview, and makes is public. It was probably a huge relief to him.

And, yes, he's going to do a reality series.

But, he is the most famous person to come out as transgender. His story, his life, can help young people struggling with the issue. He can be a role model, for people who have to few role models, and too little acceptance.

Why is that a bad thing? Because he's getting paid?

6. Dick Whitman

I don't think it's a bad thing.

But can we please retire the idea that Bruce Jenner is Everyman?

7. YankeeFan

Or, maybe he sees it as a responsibility.

Did Pedro Zamora -- an AIDS activist -- have to go on the Real World back in 1994? He was clearly craving attention! Why did MTV have to "shove his lifestyle" our faces? Why were they trying to "normalize" homosexuality, which is abhorrent to so many? And why did they have to show him holding hands and kissing another man? It was so gross!

Of course Pedro became a hero in the AIDS community, and among young gay people, struggling with their sexuality. He did help to normalize, and humanize, homosexuality for millions of young people.

There is a reason why young people are much more accepting of homosexuality than older folks, and much of it has to do with our pop culture. We've been exposed to gay "characters", both real, and fictional, for two decades now.

If a reality show focussing on Bruce Jenner can help to drive acceptance of transexual people, wouldn't that be a good thing?

He knows the numbers. He knows the suicide rate. He has a platform. Why not use it?

8. Dick Whitman

Just an average Joe.

Joe Six-Pack.

John Q. Public.

Willy Loman, 2015.

9. YankeeFan

What is he, a freak?

I'd guess he's about as normal as a former world class athlete, who's been famous for almost 40 years, who's rich, been on a reality show, and struggled with his gender identity could be expected to be.

10. Dick Whitman

I agree.

So let's stop acting like he's Clark Griswold already.

11. YankeeFan

Let's stop comparing him to Michael Jackson, or insinuating that he's a publicity whore.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

National Lampoon's Trans-Gender Vacation ... Starring Randy Quaid

Songbird likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted