1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones season 5 thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Go watch NCIS, brotha. They tie everything up in a nice, neat package every week, or so I hear.

Big Circus and JackReacher like this.
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Don't like what's on TV? Get rid of your TV! /crossthread

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've never watched it. I like the procedural format, but I haven't really enjoyed one since the original L&O went downhill.

I've got nothing against serialized shows. I just think many of them could be better executed.
    The benchmark for me is "The Americans." That show is the best out there, and it has been since episode !.

4. JackReacher

The Americans bored me.

/ducks

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I enjoy long story arcs, but I also expect each episode to move the story along.
    'Setting things up nicely for later in the season' is not praise for an episode.
    'The Americans' consistently gets it right, although some of the actors/actresses (the kids) are not always strong.
    They have a long arc, they have dozens of middle arcs, and each episode has an arc. They get it right most of the time.

Even a relatively slow episode like the one with Elizabeth and the old lady in the office at the warehouse just crackles with energy.

I've been watching GoT since the first airing, but there are a lot of episodes that strictly set-up, strictly exposition, or strictly checking in on a character/story arc so viewers don't forget it exists.

6. JackReacher

GoT is a story with ten million characters, though. That's what separates it from just about any other show. And yeah, that can be taken as a negative to be sure.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's OK to like them both. And saying GoT is not as good as The Americans isn't exactly an insult, seeing as how Greenwald and Sepinwall both say The Americans is the best drama on TV right now.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I compare them because those are two shows I watch. There are a lot of differences, so it isn't a straight comparison, but they are two serials I watch, so I compare them.
    I have never struggled with the number of characters and storylines involved with GoT. I don't have trouble following it, which is a complaint I often hear/read.
    But logistically it is difficult to maintain story momentum and interest levels for GoT. It's something I've been thinking about during the beginning of this season.

I also enjoy TWD, and I constantly compare that to 'The Americans' as well.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ned's lessons counted with Rob and they count with Jon.

Killick likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That scene with Tommen and Margaery last night, whoa.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That was borderline sweet! I had to make sure I was still watching the right show. Why didn't he disembowel her?

Draft saved Draft deleted