1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No more aspartame in Diet Pepsi

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Artificial sweeteners may promote diabetes, claim scientists | Science | The Guardian

Eran Elinav, a senior author on the study at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot, said that while the evidence against the sweeteners was too weak to change health policies, he had decided to give them up.

But the study has left many experts unconvinced. The findings draw largely on tests of just one sweetener in mice, raising doubts about their relevance for people, and to other sweeteners. Large studies in humans have found that sugar substitutes can help people maintain a healthy weight and protect against diabetes.
    “This new report must be viewed very cautiously,” said Stephen O’Rahilly, director of the Metabolic Diseases Unit at Cambridge University, “as it mostly reports findings in mice, accompanied by human studies so small as to be difficult to interpret.”
    Brian Ratcliffe, professor of nutrition at Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen, said: “Most of the effects that they report relate to saccharin with little or no effect of aspartame. Their paper ought to be limited to ‘saccharin’ in the title rather than attributing the effects to all artificial sweeteners.”

2. Dick Whitman

I know that when I want some rock-solid information on nutrition, I go to my local gold bug.

Thirty-four years.

Ninety-plus countries have studied it and approved it, as well as the European Union.

Safe, safe, safe. Perfectly safe. Way safer than sugar.

3. Dick Whitman

Ragu, it'd be a lot easier to take you seriously on this and everything else if you ever demanded or even considered evidence contrary to the positions you have already staked out. This is Jack Morris Redux. You've pitched your tent somewhere, and that's that. You completely dismiss anything that doesn't jibe with the gut feeling you have already developed. Mark Buehrle's numbers are better than Jack Morris's? OK. Sure. But you know that hitters were intimidated by Jack Morris. You can ask them! Thirty-four years of studies indicate that aspartame is perfectly safe? (Fifty years, actually. It was approved for use in 1965.) OK. But what about 35 years? We need at least 35 years!

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I suggested you don't know shit about this -- whatever you found on Google. *I* don't know shit about what aspartame does to your body.

It's ridiculous to stick your fingers in your ears and shout, "Safe, safe, safe." when it comes to something that was introduced into the human food supply -- which was relatively stable for thousands of years -- 3 decades ago! .

I am not sitting here telling you definitively that aspartame does anything negative to you.

I suggested that WE DON'T FUCKING KNOW.

You are not a scientist, Dick. You know how I know that? By your posts on here. Ms. Ragu is a PhD in molecular and cellular pharmacology. She is friends with all types like that--people locked up in labs all day, devoting themselves to things like that. And people like that are not as confident about what we know with regard to stuff like this, as you ridiculously are. They are the quickest people to say, "Gee, we know less than we actually know, and even if we discerned something from studying it, it's usually really difficult to make conclusions (such as it's safe!) because of all the noise."

This thread is just proving it again. "The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool."

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jack Morris is like, da-FUQ you draggin' my old ass into this argument for?

This place is funny-ass shit some days.

doctorquant likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

7. Dick Whitman

The, "You just 'Googled'!11!!!'" argument is so played out.

No, I'm a smart, well-read, well-informed, educated person who knows where to find information and keeps up with it.

8. Dick Whitman

We do fucking know.

9. Dick Whitman

Sweet. The appeal to authority. (Well, its inverse.)

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Rags, the idea that people have been eating the same way for hundreds/thousands of years is foolish. People, especially here in the U.S., have really never eaten this way. Sugar, for example, has been a large part of humans' diet for only a few decades.

So you really can't credibly play that card vis-a-vis the aspartame-sugar comparison.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Actually DW, we don't know. We can't know. We've only not inferred an effect. That's not the same as saying that we've inferred no effect.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's foolish to suggest that when you introduce something new and VERY different from the way people have eaten. .... it may have effects that we don't understand at this point?

By the way, you are wrong about sugar. Sugar has been arouund for hundreds of years. Sugar was not part of the European diet. ... until after Columbus brought sugar cane back. It's been increasing amounts of sugar since then, and yes, in the last few decades (thanks to processed food) sugar consumption has increased dramatically. I think that was what you meant.

Is it likely that that much sugar has negative effects on our health in the aggregate? I'd guess. Unlike Dick, I don't pretend that I can make causal relationships. I can only guess, based on various effects we see.

It seems near certain to me that the way diets have changed the last several decades--increased sugar, lots of chemicals, processed foods--has contributed to a bunch of new things we noticed about our health in the aggregate. I'd just leave it at that. I personally think it is wise to not overdo it on sugar, avoid chemicals in food, eat naturally. Because I don't know what of these new things from the lab are "safe, safe, safe," anymore than I should have accepted that the "new lung-safe cigarette" was safe, safe, safe back in the 1920s. I suppose my attitude would have been, "Why mess with that thing?"

None of that has anything to do with aspartame does it? I'm not sure where you got the idea. I didn't make any "aspartame-sugar comparisons." Aspartame and the effects of its consumption has zero to do with sugar and the effects of its consumption.

Draft saved Draft deleted