1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brainstorming new ways to write gamers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MidwestSportsGuy, Apr 9, 2015.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

How do 61 runs get scored in a collegiate baseball game? Did the teams agree to a slow-pitch softball exhibition? Jeez.

2. Golazo21

Golazo21 Member

After doing the bullet-point format for past 3-4 years, I decided to try out a mix of that incorporating video, charts, and tweets. It's admittedly a work in progress that I hope to, over time, refine and improve upon.

Recap Remix: #PHIvNE – New England Soccer Today

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I wrote a college baseball gamer a few nights ago, basically turned it into a feature on a kid and threw in some bits about the game. It worked better than a boring gamer.

4. Doing that usually makes for fun writing. And I think the average reader would say it makes for a quality read, too.

But I do wonder if it ever raises the eyebrows of the coaches/other players, just because they're so used to seeing the gamer done a certain way.

5. Golazo21

Golazo21 Member

I've done that. Kinda. 0-0 soccer game. Star player made his return from a lengthy injury. Entire story was about him, mixed in with some action that involved what he did on the field (namely, a yellow card and a near goal early on). Otherwise, one of the most unremarkable games I've witnessed. So thank you, Mr. Star Player, for coming back in a stinker. And thank you for also being good copy.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  6. ChipSouza

ChipSouza Member

I've done that a few times, Doc. I went to a bkb game this past winter and one team jumped out to a 35-1 lead. I did not want to write a gamer on that. So instead, I wrote a feature on one of the players who missed all of last season with a torn ACL. I had the photographer just focus on her to get art. I only had a couple of grafs on the game and a box. I did the same thing a couple years ago on a girls team that was in its third year of the program. I initially went to cover the game, and someone mentioned that three players on this team were on the original team that twice lost by more than 100 points that first season. They were not considerably better two seasons later, but at least more competitive. So I changed gears and wrote about the three players and them sticking with a program that lost pretty much every game of their high school careers. Turned out way better than just a gamer on another loss.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Those sound like much better reads. I always enjoy when I can find a better story with the game than just a regular game story. I can't say I find one every time, but it's good to always look.

Draft saved Draft deleted