1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Manager PennLive.com/The Patriot-News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by NHMafia, Apr 9, 2015.

1. NHMafia

NHMafia Member

From JJ:

Date Posted: April 09, 2015
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable

Description:

PennLive.com is seeking a manager with a 100 percent digital focus to run a talented and aggressive sports department.

This is a unique opportunity and we’re looking for a unique person. You don’t have to be a rabid sports fan, but you must convince us you have the tools and knowledge to lead the department in a competitive digital sports/news environment.

This person must understand the value of increasing audience – especially in focus areas such as Penn State football, high school sports and the NFL – and bring ideas to the table every day.

Proven success in digital news or sports is required (the fact you post your stories online isn’t enough). Previous newspaper experience isn’t required, but you should be able to demonstrate leadership, journalistic standards, writing ability and web-style storytelling.

Management experience is a must.

Send your resume and links to the best work you’ve written or directed. Don’t bother linking to routine gamers or features. Send something that will make you stand out.

Also, don’t waste time with a traditional cover letter. Just tell me in the email why you’d be a good candidate.

We’re moving quickly, so email Mike Feeley, PennLive director of content, at mfeeley@pennlive.com.

2. NHMafia

NHMafia Member

Our sports manager is moving on and I believe his last day is April 30. Ask on here or PM me and I'll try to give as much info as I can.

3. Editor

Editor New Member

Where's Paul Vigna going?

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

5. NHMafia

NHMafia Member

Paul is now our Enterprise Manager. I've been told he will not be moving back to this position and they are looking outside of the company. Paul just moved to his new position a little less than a year ago and told me he'd like to stay there. I do believe he will be representing Michael Sedor at the next APSE regional meeting, though.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If you're interested ... you know where I am.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Bumping up. Anyone heard anything?

8. NHMafia

NHMafia Member

From what I can tell, they are down to the final four or five with two guys flying in for interviews this week. I think Paul said they are looking to make a hire within the next two weeks.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I may know one of the candidates, and if he is a finalist I hope he gets it. He would do a very good job running that department.

10. adcs2

adcs2 Member

Where is Sedor going?

11. jr/shotglass

He's moving to Virginia, where his wife secured a job.

12. jr/shotglass

This position has been filled, it was announced today. Burke Noel arrives from Daytona Beach in late June.

Draft saved Draft deleted