1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The Babadook. A colleague's published review gets to my biggest issue with the movie - when you put characters in peril, it's just more powerful if they are characters you care about. I was indifferent to the question of whether the mom and kid lived or died, because little effort was invested in making me sympathize with them. An intriguing premise and some cool effects, but it left me kinda cold.

2. St. Vincent.
    GREAT fucking movie.
    That was Bill Murray's best performance.
    The ending got me.

SFIND likes this.
  3. Avengers II Age of Ultron.
    2 and half hours long. Not as good as the first the movie.
    Not bad, for a sequel. We saw the 3D version and some of the fight sequences were hard to follow.
    I was hoping for more action, but overall I liked it.
    I hung around for the post-credits, it was nothing special.

Saw previews for FF4 reboot. I'm not really high on it. I'll prolly pass on Ant Man as well.
    "Pixels" looks dumb.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Avengers ... Ultron. Though I didn't see it in 3D, I agree with Evil Redenbacher. Reasonably entertaining. I didn't go in expecting any deep subplots and thus I was not disappointed.

The Gambler last night on DVD. Kind of dragged for me at times. With the cast it had, I was hoping for better.

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Avengers: Age of Ultron is yet another fun ride from Marvel. Filled with action and humor, it successfully pushes forward the interwoven Marvel storylines and makes you yearn for the next installment. Curious to see how Ant-Man will fit in. I'm assuming the Ultron technology will be involved.

6. novelist_wannabe

I was definitely intrigued by the Ant-Man trailer. This is set up to be a really strong year of blockbusters. I'm stoked for Jurassic World, M:I, Sceptre, Mad Max, Tomorrowland and Star Wars. Which is good, because Atlanta/Georgia sports are shaping up to lose my interest much earlier than normal.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wrote about Avengers: Age of Ultron on the Geek thread after seeing it yesterday. I enjoyed it, though it did have a few slow moments and they definitely crammed a lot into it.

Whedon has talked about the way he tried to trick audiences into thinking a certain character would die, but the trailers and clips kind of spoiled that aspect of the movie. I really liked the surprise role for Linda Cardellini, which was also part of the attempted fake-out.

I think it is easy enough to ignore the larger MCU stuff if you prefer, which is how Mrs. OOP watches these movies, while I like putting the pieces together. There are nods to the movies, Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter, the last of which I didn't get until I read about it online.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Just got back from Age of Ultron and really enjoyed it. The same great action and dialogue we got from the earlier Marvel movies and I liked how they included the backstory/fleshing out of a couple of characters. Also some good nods to stuff that's gonna happen in future of the MCU.

And, although it has been talked about before in the series, I like how they're not shying away from the fact that when you have superheroes saving the world, there can be a lot of collateral damage.

9. novelist_wannabe

It's the kind of movie you go to if you want to see a lot of shit getting blown up. It had a strong shit-gets-blown-up quotient.

10. The Homesman... Tommy Lee Jones and Hilary Swank. I thought it might be similar to The Missing.
    Swank is a single woman living on the prairie taking three crazy woman to Iowa, she hires Jones to accompany her.
    Jones directed this movie ... Which reinforces the maxim actors should stick to acting. There was no villain. No bad guy and no danger. Just a trip.
    And for movie over two hours long, this one could have been a lot shorter.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'This is where I leave you' = thumbs down

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted