1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Experienced Sports Writer, Savannah, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

At least you heard they received your stuff.

2. jsimp

jsimp Member

Any new updates on this job?

3. DancesWithDirt

DancesWithDirt New Member

You're ahead of me in the pecking order. I never even received any indication they received my stuff. It's just common decency to let someone know their materials were received or that you're not a candidate. This common decency seems to be rare in the newspaper business. I've applied for jobs outside of the business and almost always get some kind of reply.

AMM333 and Waldo9939 like this.
  4. I assume they saw my résumé and said, "Whoa, not THAT experienced!" Nonetheless, an acknowledgement (even of the "thank-you-fuck-you-good-luck variety) would have been nice.

DancesWithDirt likes this.
  5. busch

busch Member

I'm in the same situation. I have more than 20 years in the business, which I thought would be an advantage when they advertise for an experienced reporter. Figured I might be too old for them when I applied but they did claim to want experience. Oh well. Life goes on.

6. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

If you look at the Brunswick post, apparently they have found their person. Thanks for letting folks know. God love this business sometimes.

7. ncdeen

ncdeen Member

I don't know why that's so notorious in our profession, but I certainly know it's frustrating when you don't hear back. It was about three weeks until after I applied when they contacted me, so I thought they weren't interested. The newsroom seemed like it was full of good people though. Everyone I interviewed with left a good impression on me.

8. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

That might be the case. And bully for you my friend. It's just you wish sometimes for common courtesy. It's a jungle out there as it is.

9. Pcotton

Pcotton New Member

FWIW, I got an email at the beginning of May saying I didn't get a position I applied for at the beginning of March. I had already accepted another spot anyway, and the timing of the email notifying me was clearly a little off, but they still thought to send it. Not everybody is a bad guy, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted