1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's NYTimes sports front

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Didn't read the story, but I'm guessing there are no photos because the guy in question can't remember pivotal moments so that's what the blank spaces represent?
    If that's the idea of the story, wouldn't it have been better to run the story full with empty spots breaking up the text?

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The Times loves, loves, loves them some stories that make you feel guilty about watching football in any context. They've basically decided that an incredibly nuanced and complicated topic can be boiled down to a much simpler narrative: Football is killing our children (some of whom grow up to be dementia-suffering old men before they are killed) and your continued support of it is a moral failing.

If you want to counter with, "Well, it's an appropriate counterweight to the shameless head-in-the-sand boosterism that appears elsewhere" so be it. But I'm finding many of these stories to be a bit one-note, frankly.

jr/shotglass and JackReacher like this.
  3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Really, it boiled down to sports editor Jason Stallman's experience with it. He read it as a Word document and thought the words by themselves were powerful, and he wanted to replicate that experience for readers, hence this treatment.

The inner workings of that New York Times SportsMonday cover – The Society for News Design – SND

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Why didn't he want to "replicate that experience" for web readers? Why only print readers?

Over-the-top explanations and knowledge that the page went through 10 prototypes before publication does not change stupid.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There are thousands of interesting newspaper and magazine pieces written every year. What made this one so special that it just had to appear as a block of text on the sports front of the New York Times? This is a paper that has reporters stationed in every war zone on the globe. And this football story - nothing against the subject or his battle - is the one that merits such a treatment? You serious?

When you go with this kind of front, the reader should understand why, at the very least. The blank Hall of Fame page was obvious. The LeBron transaction item was, too. This was just a sports feature. They do dozens of them a year. I still don't get it, and I've been involved in journalism in some form or another for almost a quarter century.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm telling you man, maybe I'm possessed by the ghost of Boom, but the Times is all about the shame game when it comes to football at the moment. And I love the Times!

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I wonder if SND just had a convention and the designer was just bursting until he could borrow this technique that he saw.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Didn't say it was a good reason for doing it. Just said that was his reasoning.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I know. That wasn't aimed at you.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This also shows the designer's/design department's fundamental lack of understanding of the issue as well as the Times' coverage of it. The story is fine. It is not groundbreaking or particularly powerful, at least not more than a hundred other stories on the topic, including everything Alan Schwarz wrote for the Times and probably a half-dozen other profiles that have appeared there too.

Double Down likes this.
  12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

As a designer, I just want to point out that the design was the sports editor's idea. I don't know Stallman's background (I think he was a desk guy but not a designer), but the idea didn't originate with the designer.

Draft saved Draft deleted