1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dave Goldberg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 5, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Must have scared the shit out of you.

I didn't even want to mention a fatal work out accident to my wife.

JackReacher likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My mother-in-law has one that the kids like to jack around on. I finally got her to understand it's dangerous and to keep them all the hell away from it.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Holy shit, there is some batshit crazy stuff in her most recent post, in which she seems wholly unsatisfied with the answer to the cause-of-death question. Pretty ballsy for Ms. Trunk to accuse Goldberg's family to lie and cover up the suicide she remains convinced took place.

And then there's this, which just makes me shake my head: "It’s a fine line between a heart attack and a suicide. Heart attack is purely a disease of lifestyle. It is preventable."

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There were just 30 reported deaths related to use of treadmills from 2003 to 2012, according to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, an average of about three a year, far fewer than the number of people who were struck by lightning and died.

“This is very uncommon,” said Dr. Charles Lawrence, chairman of the department of emergency medicine at Interfaith Medical Center in Brooklyn. “This is a horrible accident, not an epidemic of people falling on treadmills.”

Injuries, however, are far more common. In 2014, there were 24,400 injuries associated with treadmills in emergency departments across the country, said the commission, a federal agency based in Bethesda, Md. In all, 62,700 injuries were reported for all exercise equipment — a category that includes swimming pools, weights, golf clubs, and trampolines. Treadmills caused the single largest number of injuries.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com//2015...iest-machine-but-injuries-from-it-still-rare/

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Didn't one of Mike Tyson's kids die on one?

I'm not exactly sure what happened here, but there is a difference between having a heart attack while on a treadmill and dying in a treadmill accident.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Did he have a heart attack? I saw some other hottake/Slatepitch that assumed he was clearly on his iPhone, distracted, fell and hit his head.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah. A cord on the treadmill got wrapped around her neck and strangled her.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I was just on a treadmill yesterday. Who knew they were merciless killing machines? Maybe I should stick to the rower.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You don't have to tell this guy how dangerous a treadmill can be:

[​IMG]

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

My kids (7 and 9) use our treadmill. We keep the speed down and have never had an issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted