1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Ric Flair

Ric Flair Member

Sasha is about as complete a wrestler as you can be, she's the full package and it's great when her opponents can match her and keep up with her in title matches. I've had my question marks on Becky, as have the NXT crowd, but I don't think she's ever looked better and the crowd were behind her to the point where they gave her a commiseration applause for coming soooo close but just falling short and losing; that must eat Triple H alive the amount of times he's tried to get the sympathetic standing ovation and failed and this Irish girl who's been hit or miss on NXT got it without trying to force it herself, felt very natural.

The only problem I had with the match was right at the end where Sasha goes for a Suicide Dive, Becky catches her (more fumble), and then lifts her up and holds her for close to 10 seconds before slamming her into the steps. Other than the initial catch, Becky did that spot with remarkable ease for someone who's arm had been worked over the whole match to the point where commentators were claiming she had 'one arm'.

schiezainc likes this.
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

That whole thing just looked kind of botched to me, so, I think she just forgot about the "arm damage" as a result. I love what they're doing with the NXT divas, but I'm already depressed as I imagine Sasha and Bayley and Charlotte having five minute matches with Naomi and the Bellas. Might as well just keep the good divas in NXT until Vince croaks.

schiezainc likes this.
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Sasha Banks is a smokeshow.

schiezainc and sgreenwell like this.
  4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a whole lot of NXT up until now (I'll need to make it more of a habit), but I was able to watch Unstoppable over the last two nights and was very impressed.
    Agree with what's been said about the Becky-Sasha match, that held my interest like no other one did on the show. The pace did seem a tad slower and disjointed at times, but those two did a great job of, as the saying goes, telling a story in the ring (also loved them bringing back the old Anderson strategy of working on a particular body part over the course of the match).

I also liked the Breeze-Balor match, and the others were competent. For those disappointed in the main event, it's been reported that Zayn's going in for shoulder surgery now and the end of the match created the storyline reason for his upcoming absence. The same reports say he might be sent straight to the main WWE roster when he's recovered.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Just watched the NXT show. Really, just the Sasha Banks match and the main event. Pretty good.

Those NXT crowds (and maybe WWE crowds in general) seem to chant "This is awesome" or "Holy shit" every two minutes. Kinda loses its meaning after a while.

schiezainc likes this.
  6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

The NXT crowd has much more reason to chant it.

BTW, for what it was, Corbin-Rhino was pretty good. I loved last week's NXT when Baron Corbin came out and the crowd chanted "Baron's Gonna Bore You!" First time I've really seen the crowd turn on him.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Corbin has a fantastic look but absolutely ZERO personality.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Wrestling Observer from May 25:

- Destination America has quietly cancelled TNA, although they’re going to keep it going until the end of the third quarter (September roughly), and they could change their mind. It switches from Fridays to Wednesdays as of June 3. This means it’ll be head to head with Smackdown in Canada, and it’s probably the last chance for the show to salvage itself on the network.

- When it comes to the #2 promotion in the US, the gap between TNA and ROH has really narrowed, thanks to TNA going off Spike and ROH’s strong business lately. Despite being in fewer markets, ROH is around 420k to 520k viewers a week, between its multiple airings. TNA is around 570k. However, it’s noted that the “real” #2 promotion is probably NXT.

- Speaking of NXT: It had a northeast tour that was well-received, with houses between 1,500 and 2,200. The current plan is to ramp up touring and go full-time on the road in 2016, with three shows a week. The crowd skews heavily male and younger, vs. the usual WWE crowd of kids and families.

Despite being a TNA agent, Tommy Dreamer has been working some NXT shows. Speculation is that because that company is in such disarray, they don’t have enough leverage to tell him to stop. Rhyno and Mick Foley have also been brought in from time to time for NXT.

- Triple H is high on Dana Brooke, a still-green fitness model currently in NXT. While she’s inexperienced, she’s incredibly athletic. Becky Lynch has also been getting better internal reviews because she’s worked harder on her physique.

- Austin is back in Vince’s good graces, and is hosting another couple of post-Raw shows. There are a couple factors: Vince got over whatever past thing was upsetting him, Austin says there never was any heat, and Jericho has a tight schedule between Tough Enough and Fozzy shows.

- News on Bryan’s injury is still being kept incredibly tight. There’s no timetable on his return beyond “probably a long time.” Zayn is getting shoulder surgery and out a couple months.

- Matt Bloom (Lord Tensai, A-Train) was promoted to head trainer for WWE. Sara Del Rey (Sara Amato) was promoted to assistant head coach. Adam Pearce has been hired for the empty trainer slot from Amato moving up.

- Tough Enough will be hosted by Jericho, with Hogan, Paige and Bryan as panelists / judges. Booker T, Lita and Billy Gunn will be serving as trainers. There will be a fan vote and a judge vote each week, as a way to “control” the process, since the winner will be getting a $250,000 contract.

- Miz and Big Show will be back from their movie shoots soon. Paige is already back.

- Biff Busick, Matt Riddle, Drew Gulak and Chuck Taylor have been brought in for tryout camps.

- ESPN and FOX have both reached out to Renee Young and are interested in her doing mainstream sports.

- Lucha Underground’s status is uncertain. It lost a lot of money in season one, despite good critical reviews from wrestling fans, and it hasn’t been renewed for a second season.

- Quinn “Moose” Ojinnaka has re-signed with ROH. He turned down Global Force Wrestling and a non-guaranteed deal from WWE (Tough Enough “ringer” spot) to stay with ROH.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I hope the E doesn't lose Renee Young. Those pre-show panels would be unwatchable if she leaves.

10. Ric Flair

Ric Flair Member

Raw was not that good last night. We got the worst Cena US Title match so far and tedious Authority segments. There was some highlight though. Owens post match attack was really hot. The tag team brawl was kind of fun. The stuff with Lana and Rusev was done fine.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, did anyone actually think Ryder was going to win? And does anyone think Rollins is going to lose to Ambrose on Sunday?

Too much predictability.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I wish they'd let Ambrose and Rollins just be Ambrose and Rollins. The best parts of any of the Authority segments was those two going at each other. If they'd strip the feud down a little and let them go at each other -- on the mic and in the ring -- it could be a great run of matches. Otherwise, it's Triple H and Steph inserting themselves into something that could be good and ruining it.

Draft saved Draft deleted