1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones season 5 thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm expecting something big to happen with them, but so far very lame and not well acted.

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

The public outrage over Sansa's rape is baffling to me. Are people watching the same series I've been watching? That scene was pretty tame compared to what we've seen. At least they spared us the visuals and instead just showed old Reek's befuddled face the whole time (which I heard one podcaster say was a slap in the face to females because the show writers made Sansa's rape a Theon storyline, not a Sansa storyline....um, WTF??)

I'll admit I was hoping Sansa would pull out a knife and slice Ramsay's dick off, or that Theon would eventually snap and go crazy on his captor. But I also wasn't surprised that nothing happened and Ramsay "sealed the deal", so to speak. Was it any more vicious than Khal Drogo and Dany? I don't think so, at least not from my point of view.

Maybe I just need to stop listening to podcasts with strong feminine point of views. LOL

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't get it, either. She married the dude -- willing or not (but mostly willing presumably to try to gain some advantage).

That said, George R.R. Martin seems to have mommy, big sister, bastard brother and second cousin issues.

StaggerLee likes this.
  4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sixty percent. Four more episodes — May 24, 31; June 7, 14.

True Detective and that new football show with The Rock (Ballers) start June 21.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And that other show starring Jack Black and the guy from Shawshank.

6. StaggerLee

He's definitely got some weird perversions. I can't tell if that's all in his head or if he really thinks that's how things would have been in the age of knights and dragons. I know a lot of period pieces set in that time make it sound like it was pretty much a "free love" era, but that many bastards running around? That many incestuous relationships? That much pedophilia? (remember, Tommen is 8 in the books and Sansa is 14ish)

7. StaggerLee

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

There have been several rapes on the show, including the kinda-sorta incestual rape of Cersei by her brother at the feet of the corpse of her dead son. I mean that had to be worse, right? Why is this off-screen rape now suddenly a thing?

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Because. Hot innocent virgin.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is an excellent question. I thought the scene with Jaime and Cersei was worse, especially because they made it worse on the show than it was in the books.

If anything, they toned down Ramsey raping his wife on their wedding night from the books. The difference being that it wasn't Sansa. What happened was completely in character for everybody involved. Sick and twisted? No doubt about it. You're watching a show that had a 10-year-old boy shoved out a window after catching the queen fucking her twin brother in the first episode, so that should have been a hint.

11. StaggerLee

Like I mentioned, I listen to a few podcasts and the seemingly popular opinion is that Sansa is supposed to be a strong, independent woman and this "destroys" the last strong, independent woman in the movie. I'd argue Brienne is pretty damn strong and independent. I'd say Arya is pretty strong and independent.

I think, for some reason, females relate to Sansa more than any other woman on the show and I guess they put themselves in her shoes.

Personally, it was no worse to me than what Jaime did to Cersei or what Khal Drogo did to Dany or what Margery did to 8-year old Tommen (OK, I know he's older in the show, but still that's statutory rape also).

Like bigpern says, I don't know why this rape is different than the 37,000 we've seen already. Oh well, let them all stop watching, it won't affect my viewing.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

A little Red Nose Day fun with Coldplay, the cast of Game of Thrones and Liam Neeson.

Draft saved Draft deleted