1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travel advice: Don't go there

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, May 21, 2015.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Someone once tried to sell me on Ocala by referring to it as "the hilliest area in Florida." That's sort of like identifying the warmest area in Antarctica.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

"It's the best city between Café Risqué and Disney World!"

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I liked Cleveland the one time I was there. The restaurant Mallorca was worth the trip by itself; great experience and a great meal.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Champaign-Urbana is very nice, although not for touristy stuff. If you go there, hit the Custard Cup for frozen goodness. The Illinois campus is nice, and the co-eds are, too. I'm biased, though, because I worked there six years and made many good friends inside and outside the newspaper.

Decatur smells, and that's a fact.

Bronco77 likes this.
  5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I love Cleveland just for Jacobs Field and the Rock and Roll HOF.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I, too, liked Cleveland the one time I visited - went to a nice strip bar for a buddy's bachelor party -- but there has to be a reason my mother grew up there but has never returned since moving west in 1954.

7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

The RR HoF sucked but love Cleveland. Great food and beer town.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Cleveland's fine. Actually kind of fun.

In terms of overseas...I actually kind of like London, but there's nothing romantic about it.

9. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

In a limited dose, Cleveland is actually terrific.

Unless you want to stop by and meet me for a beer.....or you're a golden dome kool aid drinker.....South Bend, IN isn't worth pulling off the Toll Road for. Used to have the College Football HOF, but just like most of the local industry, it pulled up stakes and hit the bricks.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yep. What became of Bendix in Mishawaka?

Was there once, and ate at a place that I think was called the Icehouse. Used to cut and sell big blocks of ice before the modern refrigerator came along. Ever been there?

11. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Cleveland and Philly are much better than their reputations. No reason to go to Augusta Ga 51 weeks of the year.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I grew up in Lucas, the Grassroots Art Capital, which isn't too far from the ball of twine and home to several of its own weird attractions, including the Garden of Eden and the Bowl Plaza. It's a building shaped like a toilet that was named one of America's ten best public restrooms.

Wenders likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted