1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 6, 2015.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, you know this Rory McIlroy guy is pretty good.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The "Tiger beat a lot of nobodies" line is a little much. But I do think he makes a good point that Tiger has roughly 5 years left to catch Jack. If what he said is accurate, four players have won a major at age 44 or older.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I love Jenkins, but someone needs to knock his rose-colored glasses off and remind him what a surly sumbitch Hogan was.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. Jenkins was Hogan's hometown paper guy. It's possible he wasn't surly with Dan.
    2. Woods' first major win was 1997 Masters and last to date 2008 US Open. In that time frame, there were by my count five other multiple major winners -- Mickelson, Els, O'Meara, Goosen and Singh. By my definition, you can't be a nobody with more than one major. That qualifies you as an historic figure, even if, like Goosen, it's minor history.

5. No offense, but No Shit.
    That's not really revelation of news, more like recycled stuff. That's a fact that has been pointed out a good deal but a lot of people.

Jenkins has been a Hogan fan boy for a long, long time. Maybe always. He was more than Hogan's "Hometown paper guy." They became good friends.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

OK, fine. I guess I just didn't realize that only four players 44 or older have won a major. My bad!

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Hogan actually even offered to give Jenkins lessons at one point to see if he could make it on Tour. Jenkins declined.

8. And Hogan was a surly SOB ... I've read he alienated so many of his peers during his playing days he didn't have many friends when he retired from golf.

He wasn't much for dispensing advice to the next generation of pros either... Nick Faldo, I think, once went to Hogan for advice about winning the U.S. Open.
    "Shoot the lowest score," Hogan said.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I think it was Hogan that Arnold Palmer overheard at the Masters complaining about Palmer, saying "Did you see that Palmer guy? How did he even get an invite here?"

So basically, if this were the SATs, Dan Jankins is to Ben Hogan what Doug Ferguson is to Tiger Woods.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This guy I used to have to* play golf with is heavy into the Ben Hogan hagiography. You can't be around him more than five minutes before he starts with the "Mr. Hogan said this" and "Mr. Hogan said that" bit. He claims he hung around Hogan and got him to come across with the real secret of the golf swing, which he'll sell to you as part of his video series. Yeeeeah suuuuuuure.

*He was a member of my club and played in our Wednesday, Friday and Saturday group. Every now and then I'd draw the black bean and have to play in a foursome with him. Ugh.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I give you Hogan's Secret for free:

Practice 10 million hours, be obsessive to the point where you're an ass to everyone around you, and you'll be good at golf.

Draft saved Draft deleted