1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travel advice: Don't go there

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, May 21, 2015.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I'm an Ohioan and am surprised at all the love for Cleveland. It's dirty, the lake smells, and outside sports and HOF, there's little to do. I actually prefer Cincinnati.

The best city in the state to visit IMO is Columbus. Very underrated. German Village is awesome. If you like football, you owe it to yourself to see Ohio Stadium (even if you don't like OSU). Crew and Blue Jackets are fun. Clippers are too. COSI is a great museum. I could go on.

On topic, skip Toledo, Akron, Youngstown and Dayton.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, I agree with Columbus, particularly German Village, but man, DAYTON. The U.S. Air Force Museum is better than the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum in terms of its overall collection. NASM has most of the firsts of this and that, but Dayton has a lot of everything, including a lot of devopmental planes. A good example is the only surviving supersonic XB-70 Valkyrie.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

One little vacation I'd like to take is to do the Kentucky Bourbon Trail then drive up to Cincy for a for a ballgame. Sounds like the museum in Dayton might be worth hitting too.

4. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

With this discussion in mind last night, I asked a friend what places he'd avoid.

His response (while drinking his third beer of the evening): "Anywhere my wife can go on a shopping spree."

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Pacific Northwest division: The Tri-Cities (Pasco, Richland, Kennewick) in Washington.

Hotter and drier than hell. Strip mall-tastic. And when the best tourist attraction is a nuclear waste Superfund site, well ...

7. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Bendix? Mergers, acquisitions, the usual. Heard plenty of folks talk about it, but pre-dates me a bit. I'm just impressed (?) you remember Mishawaka.

Was the Icehouse part of a larger complex? An old brewery? If so, it's been through a lot of different "lives", including a comedy club, art house / revival movie theatre & (for a while ) a start up church. Lately, just a good place to get your ass kicked....

8. sostartled

sostartled Member

Syracuse sucked when I went there. So did Rochester and Buffalo. Basically any of the big cities in upstate NY.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

As others have said, Houston isn't exactly a touristy spot, but if you're there anyway (and I have tons of family there, so I spend a lot of time in the Houston area), there's a lot to do. The Hermann Park Zoo s one of the better zoos I've been to, there are some really good museums that bring in top-line shows and the Kemah Boardwalk is a real good place to spend a day. Also, Galveston is worth a visit, although the beach isn't much to speak of.

As far as the topic goes, I can think of a few cities I've be through that I'd avoid; Shreveport, La., Jackson, Miss., Montgomery, Ala.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Well, Buffalo has Duffs' so there's that. :D

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never had a bad time in Buffalo. Great drinking town, and the wings and beef on weck are damn good too.

12. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I always did like Champaign-Urbana as a young reporter, when I'd occasionally cover U of I games and the state boys' basketball tournaments there. Had friends who were still in school there (this was when I was 23 or 24), and I'd save my employer a few bucks and stay with them. We'd hit the bars or go to parties after I was done writing.

So Decatur still smells? I remember passing through there a few times (this was more than 30 years ago), and there was a distinct beer fart-like stench -- not too much different from something you'd smell near a paper mill. Friends from central Illinois told me it was from the grain-processing plants there.

Draft saved Draft deleted