1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nope. The PAT is one play. Make it or don't.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Oh, I know. But why not make it agonizing?

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

So now PAT conversions will go from being 99 percent to 95 percent.

The cold weather games could get interesting late in the season or playoffs.

I like the change.

4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Although it's been tried once in the last 50 years or so, I wonder if the NFL took the dropkick into account. I mean, could a team line up for a 2-point conversion and dropkick through the uprights for 1 point?

What I hate about this new rule is the declaration of intent and having two different lines of scrimmages depending on how you line up. If you're going for 1, you line up on the 15. If you're going for 2, you line up on the 2. That's so weird. It's a PAT, an untimed down after a touchdown. Logic still says a play of some kind should be run from the same spot.

Why not take the kick out all together? Run for 1 and pass for 2, like they do in some youth football leagues? How about going to dropkicks only?

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Or how about just eliminate the PAT. You get 7 points for a TD, but if you want to go for 2 and miss, the TD is only worth 6.

I think that TV loves the PAT because it gives them time to show highlights of the TD before and after the kick.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe they did this just to fuck with Chip Kelly.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

If they want to fix the PAT, do away with the sequence of TD, commercial, PAT, commercial, kickoff, commercial.

I like the idea of one point for a run and two for a kick. I wonder what the breakdown is between the two options when going for two points

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think I have ever seen a commercial between the touchdown and PAT.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  10. Ric Flair

Ric Flair Member

I don't follow the NFL, but a friend was asking me if there were any players that had terrible combines but went on to great NFL careers? Any players on top of your head? It would be really helpful. Thanks!

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Tom Brady.

Draft saved Draft deleted