1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

A lot of crooked numbers at the Stadium this homestand: Texas scored 8 and 10 in an inning, Yankees scored 8 in the 1st today and there may have been a few other notable outbursts.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I know it's coincidence, but I can never remember Jeremy Guthrie pitching well any time I've been watching.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Volquez has been excellent. So has Young, but he has a history of little streaks like this before his body or his mechanics break down. But the rest of the Royals' starters have been awful. Funny thing is, Kansas City entered today's games with the third-lowest ERA in the majors, thanks in large part to that bullpen.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

My buddy is doing a tour of all five California ballparks right now (we both live in the Midwest). That lucky bastard.

Then again, this is the fourth time this week he's seen the Padres.

As much as I envy him, I did do Miller Park-Wrigley-Comerica and two Minor League games closer to home a couple years ago. Lost an adult tricycle race in Toledo. Trying to remember how it was I had enough money to do that.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dodgers send Juan Uribe to Atlanta for Alberto Callaspo; deal took a couple of days because Callaspo was initially blocking it.

Adrian Gonzalez is a little upset about losing Uribe: "I'm not going to be able to charge room service to his room anymore.''

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

7. LongTimeListener

He trolled you, Reacher, and you went for it. Buster FTW!

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Haha. Guess that's what I get for not reading it.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It's behind a paywall.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Deal doesn't make a ton of sense from either end; it's basically junk for junk. The Dodgers probably will release Callaspo, and the other guys are all back-end bullpen pieces at best. The theory I read was that the Dodgers wanted to clear a roster spot, but feared the clubhouse/fan reaction of releasing Uribe.

Uribe is an upgrade for the Braves, but he's a 7-hole hitter on a good team. Withrow's coming off Tommy John, so he's a lottery ticket for 2016.

I think the Braves probably end up trading Uribe before Aug. 1. Think the Giants would take him?

11. LongTimeListener

Haha, that would be great Steak but I don't see it -- they just shitcanned McGehee because Matt Duffy played his way into the starting spot at third base. They now have a starting infield that could seriously be together for the next eight to 10 years (Belt, Panik, Crawford, Duffy). Plus Posey gets a lot of time at first base, and Duffy can play every infield position as can bench guy Arias.

I love Juan Uribe, though. He has what Krukow calls the yuckadoo swing -- once every AB he just decides before the pitch that he's swinging from the heels. He was as important as anyone in winning the 2010 WS. He's probably too old to do that again, but the guy can catch fire.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

What a turnaround for Uribe. Dodgers fans hated him when he got to LA and sucked. He looked like another former Giant overpaid by Ned Colletti (see Schmidt, Jason).

But Uribe didn't pout then had a really good final year of his contract, including a big postseason HR, parlaying that into another two-year contract as he went from goat to fan favorite.

Draft saved Draft deleted