1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Somewhere in The Great Beyond, Lennon and Cobain are saying WTF to each other

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, May 24, 2015.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The original, Run DMC and Aerosmith with "Walk This Way."

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I thought Yoko had started singing backup for Hole.

3. RecoveringJournalist

How many bands that have formed in the last 20 years are better than the Foo Fighters?

I'd take the White Stripes, but the list is not a long one.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I heard this one somewhere not too long ago. Loved it.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I was at the Global Citizen Festival in Central Park a few years ago and it closed with Neil Young, Dave Grohl and Dan Auerbach playing Rockin in the Free World. Fucking amazing.

7. RecoveringJournalist

I saw Pearl Jam and Neil Young play together when I was in college and it was one of those shows where Pearl Jam played for 90 minutes, Neil Young played for about two hours and when Young encored, Vedder and Gossard came out with him and they played Rockin in the Free World, Peace and Love and a couple others... It was pretty awesome.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The definitive duet on Thunder Road has already been performed:

This is my favorite Foo Fighters collaboration (Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, with Grohl doing a damn good John Bonham impression):

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

God, I despise that collaboration. Partly my respect for RUN DMC and my hatred of Aerosmith's shtick. Much prefer PE's work with Anthrax, as someone else already said.

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Grohl and Eddie Vedder have become Everybody's Guest Stars, appearing on stage with everybody under the sun.

They're still young and hip enough to be considered cool by punks and alt-rockers, but they have the "historic" cred to rub elbows with Dylan, McCartney, and Keith Richards.

I think the late 90s/ early 00s resurgence by Johnny Cash, steered by Rick Rubin, which teamed the 70ish Cash with people like Trent Reznor, kicked down some of those generational barriers.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  11. RecoveringJournalist

I think Reznor's association with Cash and Pearl Jam's association with Young and to a lesser extent, The Who, and a few other bands made the younger generation more familiar with their music and that was definitely a good thing.

When the band you like in the 1990s is standing there saying, "This band, or this singer is where I got my inspiration." It's never a bad thing. Plus, it's pretty clear that those bands have a lot of respect for Pearl Jam and Reznor.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Since we are off in the world on Neil Young collaborations, I have always loved him doing an early version of Hey Hey My My with Devo.

Draft saved Draft deleted