1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Diego Union-Tribune lays off 178

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, May 26, 2015.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"When the two companies announced that they were coming together, we said at the time there were going to be some synergies, and unfortunately for a lot of people today we’re realizing those synergies"

Shut up with the stupid buzzwords.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Involuntary separations, don't you know ...

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Come on man. Synergies is awesome. I'm gunna work it into my lead the next game I cover. It's hip and it makes all those people that got canned feel better knowing they worked for such a cool employer.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, that number is crazy. Who do they think they are, Gannett?

6. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

In idiotic Tribune Publishing corporate-speak, it's not a downsizing, it's a "rightsizing."

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

From folks I talked to, only 2 in the "traditional" newsroom. None in sports.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Synergize, rightsize, buyout...

When I got bounced, it was announced in the paper that a certain number of people "had accepted buyouts" and most of us were pretty pissed because it made it look like we had a choice. Even sometimes where there is a choice, it's presented like, "We're offering this now. The offer might not be as generous in a few months."

I'd bet just about anything that they're not done. Right now, they just need some time to figure out how to wield the axe in the newsroom.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I really wish that at some point, the media would just start calling them "firings". I know it's not for cause, but it's the same thing. Employees are being let go without them wanting to leave.

Start saying "The Union-Tribune fired 178 people" and continue to do so with any other layoffs in any other industry. If the businesses are that hypersensitive about it, then maybe they should work a little harder to avoid having to do so. Start making this a little shameful.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Isn't it great how newspapers hold everyone and everything accountable to a perfect standard, except themselves. Complete hypocrisy.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What will the deadlines be for the late sports scores when it the San Diego paper is printed in LA? Is there anyway that the Padres final will ever get in?l

Draft saved Draft deleted