1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Stanley Cup playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 14, 2015.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yep. Very entertaining team to watch. Down 3 games to 2? No problem. #RangerUp

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It hasn't been as fun for me as a fan, as I'd like. I mean, I love the fact that they step up with their backs against the wall. Brassard and Nash, with JT Miller a part of the top line now, FINALLY stepped up yesterday.

What worries me is that you can't expect to be able to pull rabbits out of your hat every time this way. It would have been better if they hadn't put themselves into win-or-go-home situations in the last two series. Sometimes you lose those games even if you outplay your opponent.

Tampa is really impressive, but they are not as deep as the Rangers. Victor Hedman is better than any single defenseman the Rangers have. The Triplets line is crazy good, and has played better than any line the Rangers have. They are speedy, keep coming at you and their passing is so crisp. They work the puck in deep, manage to get the defense to collapse on them, and then ALWAYS find an open man in the slot. The Stamkos line has been really good too -- I have a lot of respect for Stamkos. He has played this whole series like he really wants it. He was the one guy who stood out for Tampa in that mess yesterday. Maybe Ryan Callahan, too, but he hasn't been on the whole series. Beyond that, though, Tampa has a lot of filler.

The Rangers, on the other hand, are really deep. JT Miller has spent parts of these playoffs as a fourth line player, and yesterday he was a huge part of their first line. When I look up and down their lineup, there are only a few players I would choose to upgrade from -- Marty St. Louis has not been good at all these playoffs. Dan Boyle bugs me. He sets up a lot of offense, but he is responsible for way too many 2 on 1s and breakaways for the other teams. The fourth line is weak -- with James Sheppard in the line up because Zuccarello is out and Tanner Glass. Dom Moore is amazing, though. He is the only one on the team who consistently wins face offs, and he has been a relentless forechecker. Even with the step down in actual talent, though, that line has played its butts off and has been a real annoyance for Tampa -- and Sheppard even got a goal crashing the net yesterday. ... It was almost Tanner Glass' goal, which made me laugh.

Yeah, it has been entertaining. Agree with you guys. But damn, why can't they just win without the dramatics?

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Agreed. After that sorry Game 5 performance, I wouldn't have given you 10 cents for the Rangers' chances in Game 6 at Tampa. Instead, they got off to a great start, weathered the storm in the latter half of the first period and through the second then blew the Lightning away in the third. Keep in mind, though, that the road team has won four of the last five games in this series.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I find the Rangers to be the least entertaining of the 4 teams that remain.

The series out west has been insane.

dprince57 likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The series out west has been insanely good -- you are right, a much better series. That is no indictment of the Rangers-Lightning, though. Too many laughers for both teams in the Rangers-Lightning series, but it still has been a pretty good series, because the momentum shifted dramatically a few times and now we are looking at another elimination game. I can see being way more into this series as a fan of one of the teams, than if you have no rooting interest. But still, one thing that has made the series stand out a bit is that each team has had moments of looking way, way, way better than the other. ... to the other team adjusting and taking over. It has been more pronounced than most series, even.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think the series has been good out East and I would like the Rangers to win the cup, but out of the 4 remaining teams I find them to be the least entertaining.

7. The Big Ragu

I can see that. They are my team, so I am way biased. Besides that, I just find them an incredibly likable group of players.

I watched a lot of their regular season games. I found their play all season long way more entertaining than it has been so far in the playoffs. They were a ton of fun to root for this year. But the playoffs so far? They were not wowing anyone during the Pittsburgh series, and as great as the goaltending was in the Washington series, aside from Lundqvist, no one on the Rangers really stood out in that series. This series, Tampa has had better story lines. If I wasn't a fan rooting against Tampa, I'd have to say that the Johnson-Kucherov-Palat line has been way more entertaining from shift to shift than anything the Rangers have thrown out there.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sure, but you're not a fair-weather, NYC fanboi looser who only watches hockey in May and June if the Rangers are still alive.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    dprince57 and JC like this.
  9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The past week and a half, I've consumed a ton of pregame hype for both series, and then when it's time for the game to start, I have no effing clue which team will win.
    One of the analysts on NHL Network yesterday ended by saying, "I love being on this show, except the part where you make us predict the winner. I hate that."
    I hope the Final doesn't become anticlimactic like most of the Super Bowls.

10. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

Game 7s in both conference finals! Got to love it.

BTW, why didn't video review in Toronto disallow the Ducks second goal? The Rule 38.4 (viii) changes implemented for this season does allow more leeway to video review. It was clear than Crawford was in the crease and was interfered with by Silfverberg while Stoner shot the puck. Goal should have been disallowed and a two minute goalie interference penalty should have been assessed against Silfverberg. Thankfully it didn't alter the final result of this game but it would sure hurt the NHL if a conference final or a Stanley Cup ends with a missed call that's reviewable.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Earlier in this thread there was mention of goalie interference rules. I thought goalie interference was not reviewable. But I think a lot of things that make no sense in this game.
    From my view, Crawford was outside the blue paint and so was Silfverberg when he brushed Crawford catching glove. How far out can the goalie go and still not be touched?? Or not allowed the possibility of making the save? Weird rules.
    As for the result, the Ducks better quit worrying about tiring out the Blackhawks and just go play. Keith has played more hockey than anybody else in this series and he was by far the best player on the ice tonight. He ain't getting tired. The Ducks looked like the tired team from the start, but they sure came on in the third period.

12. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

You need to look again ChrisLong. The position of the skates, not the body, determines if the goalie is in the goal crease. Just like the positions of a players' skates and not their bodies determine if they are on or off sides. Silvferberg definitely ran into Crawford's glove a split second before the shot reached the net with Silfverberg initiating the contact. There also wasn't any bump by a Chicago player that made Silfverberg initiate the contact.

P.S. You're also not allowed to make contact with a goalie even if he's out of the goal unless he's handling the puck.

Draft saved Draft deleted