1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, May 8, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's funny because I remember reading somewhere a few years ago that when DVRs came of age, the industry actually thought sports would be something that would be very popular to watch on delay, for some reason.

I wonder how much that texting has made sure that won't happen. When there's a big game, my friends and I belly up to the digital sports bar together. The texts were flying fast and furious during last night's Stanley Cup game.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Football and basketball are the only sports I can watch on DVR delay because of the predictable commercial breaks. In other major sports - soccer, baseball and hockey - the scoring is so infrequent that I prefer to watch live.

I do watch Sunday NFL on NBC and the Thursday night games at midnight as I work those nights. I stay off Twitter and, in the newsroom, colleagues know not to tell me the score and I avoid glancing at the screens the game is on.

This delay works for me as I zip through the NFL game in about 90 minutes when the ads are taken out. My me time.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Saying he's more of a journalist than Simmons isn't exactly setting the bar too high. But does he have the draw Simmons does?

He's certainly talented enough to do it. The question is simply how many readers will they lose because of Simmons and how much of a difference will that make? Hardcore Grantland fans, and I consider myself one, will stay.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Grantland gets a relatively small amount of traffic, compared to the other big sports-related sites. To the extent it has a decent-sized audience, ESPN.com (and its 200 million visitors a month) has driven most of its traffic, not a Bill Simmons cult following.

5. RecoveringJournalist

Which sites are you comparing it to? I'm not arguing, I'm just asking. I would be curious to see how it compares with a site like MMQB. While MMQB is specific to one sport, it's also an example of a website, taking its most popular columnist and spinning it off to it's own site.

6. The Big Ragu

I didn't have MMQB in mind. More deadspin and SB Nation -- I saw those comparisons a lot in stories about how Grantland was doing. MMQB doesn't register in this discussion. It's a flea in comparison. Its media kit says it gets only 205,000 unique visitors a month. Grantland gets millions of visitors a month.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Chris Connolly has two brands to me: being Kurt Loder's backup on MTV News 30 years ago and doing every "kid with 7 toes or 3 heads who likes sports" feature story on ESPN.

8. RecoveringJournalist

I don't think SB Nation is a fair comparison at all. It's its own entity. I put Deadspin in its own category with TBL and EDSBS and those other sites.

I look at it as a spinoff. It's a very expensive spinoff. I would compare it to MMQB. I would certainly hope Grantland is crushing MMQB. But I'm sure SB Nation and BR and those sites crush Grantland.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Who's the guy who does all of the "dying kid meets his favorite athlete" pieces. Every time I hear his voice, I turn the channel. I'm sure the pieces are great, I just have no desire to watch manufactured tear jerkers, especially when I'm just trying to watch SportsCenter.

Again, not saying they're not well-done, just not for me.

10. The Big Ragu

All of the sites we are talking about are geared toward the same audience of sports fans, and they are competing for the same advertiser dollars. It doesn't matter that they go about it with different approaches to content. ESPN can talk all it wants about it being an "artistic success," but their bottom line is still revenue.

If Grantland didn't have the resources it has behind it, and ESPN.com drawing traffic to it, it would be a remarkable success story. But it does have those killer resources behind it. There is no way the amount if income it brings in could possibly justify what ESPN has had to have been spending on it -- if you are looking at it from a P&L standpoint.

It actually will be interesting to see how it does with Simmons now gone. I suspect (but I am frequently wrong about things like this) that its traffic will stay pretty close to where it has been, with the growth trajectory it has shown not changing much. ... it has been OK, but pales in comparison to how Deadspin has been growing, for example. I just think that you could link to almost anything on ESPN.com, and if it is given good enough real estate on the main site, which gets ridiculous traffic, it will get clicks.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Tom Rinaldi

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  12. RecoveringJournalist

I've always been sickened at the amount of traffic that SB Nation and Bleacher Report get.

Bleacher Report: Here is a story we stole and 10 pictures to go with it. Please click all of them. Some of the recent hires have helped their credibility a little bit. I get google alerts for my favorite teams and some of the stories are written by people who have never covered a practice or a game. Others are written by people with 20 years experience covering the sport. 95 percent of the people who read it don't know the difference.

I don't think Grantland appeals to the casual sports fan. I think that's why some of us like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted