1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear dimwit on the phone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jan 21, 2010.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Dear local woman,

Thank you for dropping off a photo of your son in his University of Denver letter jacket, about to celebrate the Pioneers' victory in the NCAA lacrosse championships earlier this week by jumping into a local lake, and for following up with a call this morning. However, I disagree with your assertion that just because your son attended DU in the 90s and captained the then-club lax team that this is an occasion for a story on your family's belief, since moving back to this area (two time zones and 1,000-plus miles away) that we oughta write about how we oughta have lacrosse here.

spikechiquet likes this.
  2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Dear Track Dad,
    I'm sorry you disagree with my use of the word "inadvertent" when describing what happened to your daughter during the state track meet Friday. From what she told me, it was an accident and that the girl behind her got too close and their feet got tangled.

I didn't have a good view of what happened because it was on the opposite side of the track, so I relied on your daughter to tell me what happened -- and she called it accidental.

So please, get off your high horse about that girl costing your daughter's team a state championship. Trip or not, your team hadn't even come close to running the time the winning team did that day, or at any point during the season.

Yours,
    KY

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Dear local PR dude/Warriors fan,

No, I'm not going to get you creds to the NBA Finals. First, if anyone is getting credentials to this thing, it is going to be me. I'm the SE, I get automatic dibs. Second, you nor I have covered the Warriors all season. I doubt I'm getting credentials anyway. Third, you haven't done anything for me in the two years I've been here, so, no you're not getting creds from me even if we ignored reasons one and two. Fourth, I'm not in the business of putting my credibility on the line just so some fan doesn't have to pay to watch the games. Now go to Stubhub, er, sorry, Ticketmaster, and fork over the small fortune like everyone else.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

So you're firm on that, or what?

5. Spartan Squad

This may out me, but oh well.

You joke, but the dude didn't think I was serious either. A short time after I politley said no, and shortly after I posted here, guy sent me the form he got from the Warriors to get his credentials that I needed to fill out for him since I'm the sports editor. He found out just how serious I was when my response to him included the Warriors media relations people saying you are not my employee and I am not filling out that form.

SFIND likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Whenever I get this request, I usually ask them what kind of story they were going to submit on the game, or a game-related feature. Never dawned on a lot of them sportswriters go to games to work.

A few years back, some guy called saying he was going to the last game at the old Yankee Stadium and wondered if we wanted a story from him on it. No, I said, that's what I've got AP for. Then he asked if I could get him a credential. Told him, no I wasn't getting him a credential for something he wasn't doing for us. And why did he need a credential if he had a ticket?

7. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

Guy rips us for not having the spelling bee in the TV listings or running a story on it, even though there was a story... in a non-sports section of the paper. I'm not sure where he was trying to go with this, but then he rips professional athletes for not having the make up or mentality of a spelling bee contestant and goes on and on about the kind of pressure these contestants are under. He also sent this e-mail from his work address, which was a school.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Dear co-worker,

The news staff, including you, has three people. So the one-man sports department over here has no sympathy for you when you complain about how you think you're overworked and hope the higher-ups decide to hire someone else to help out.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The PR guy didn't offer any swag or anything?

10. Spartan Squad

No, no swag. Wouldn't have helped his chances, but it would have been a nice gesture. Could have showed me that I was more than a midnight ticket call.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's weak. In my experience, people at least they offer to "cover" it for you.

12. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

The coach I expected to complain about not being an all-star selection, even though his team was recognized, has complained. Back to work...

Draft saved Draft deleted