1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Another documentary...

"That's not funny" about controversy in comedy. It dealt with many of the comedy bits that have occurred over the years.

It was a great concept, executed very poorly. The clips were great, but they interviewed nobody and it was way too much of the director just talking and lecturing. The clips are the only reason to watch it.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And then they all played Hekawis in "F Troop."

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Ace likes this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Avengers: Ultron was great. It met expectations and sets up Thor III nicely.

Is the next Avengers Civil Wars or is that Cap'n America?

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Serpico. Had never seen it from start to finish. Suspenseful, to say the least. I really like movies based on true events.

And wow. Cornelia Sharpe. In the tub.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is called Captain America: Civil War, but it seems a lot more like Avengers 2.5 than Captain America 3.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Watched 50 Shades of Grey on Saturday with the wife. It was awful. Repetitive to the point of redundancy (every kiss required a 2-hand face hold by Grey, Dakota Johnson bit her lip so much I thought she was going to eat it, they used flight as a visual metaphor for her feelings three times, red or blue lighting was used in every other scene, she asked him "Why, Christian? Why does it have to be this way" about six times), it just got boring. The story didn't go anywhere. I get that it's the first act of three in a trilogy, but any good trilogy is made up of three films that can stand on their own story arc (or at least two - the second film often sets up the final chapter).

I haven't read the books, but from what my wife tells me, the film really kind of glosses over how much Grey subjugates Ana. The film I saw involved a billionaire who is used to getting his way who is intrigued by a young woman who challenges him - and it's not very well told or interesting. The books apparently go deeper into Ana' submission, and it seems like glossing over that part misses the point of the story.

And maybe the thing that bothered me most was that the 27-year-old billionaire playboy who had a garage full of cars only drove Audis.

The cinematography was pretty good, though, I will give them that.

7. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Saw Mad Max: Fury Road and what a fun ride.
    It's non-stop action with a bit of humor and complex characters. Excellent reboot of the original.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

On Encore cable today ...

Starman.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Full weekend of movies: Mad Max: Fury Road at theatre. Wild, Big Eyes and Unbroken on DVD.

Mad Max is the perfect movie if you want to watch post-apocalyptic survivors beating the crap out of each other.

I really liked Wild. Strong performance by Reese Witherspoon and I think they captured pretty well what life as a hiker is like.

Rented Big Eyes solely because I like Amy Adams and really enjoyed it. I wasn't very familiar with the Keane story, which is to say I was only vaguely aware that there was art attributed to Walter Keane. I want to read up on the Keanes to see how much of the movie is true.

Unbroken was pretty strong. Loved the scene when they are pulled out of the ocean. "I've got good news and bad news."

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Dumb and Dumber To.

DON'T JUDGE ME!

(actually, I found it pretty goddamned funny.)

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Interstellar - too much Sci fi.

12. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Mad Max was great, as was Wild. Haven't seen Big Eyes. Unbroken was one big, fat, disappointing turd of a movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted