1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by britwrit, May 27, 2015.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I get FIFA is a scumbag organization, but has the FBI and the IRS locked up all the domestic criminals, terrorists and hedge fund investors?

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I don't really understand all the hoo hah by the Feds. Since the rest of the world loves soccer far more than the USA does, isn't this prosecution a great way to get even more of the world to hate and terrorize us?

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes. Yes, they have.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The world loves soccer, but they positively loathe FIFA.

Far as I can tell, this action has been almost universally applauded. The only ones still in FIFA's corner are Russia and Qatar (of course).

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Domestically, U.S. media outlets who normally would not touch soccer are, guess what, talking about soccer. No such thing as bad publicity.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you subscribe to the "at least they're talking about us" theory then, yeah, I guess it's not a bad thing.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Soccer doesn't need haters, it brings shame upon itself.
    What a disgraceful sport.
    If Blatter wins reelection then national teams should start leaving the organization, beginning with the United States.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Blatter's global firestorm makes Lance Armstrong look ... well, Lance Armstrong still sucks, too.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

What's the cure for Blatter cancer?

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Blatter is going to win re-election. Quite easily, it seems from the speeches being given during today's meetings by various national representatives.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Worldwide Leader is doing a very good job on coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted