1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former high school wrestling coach indicted in Illinois

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, May 29, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The feds are only notified if the transactions involve cash and exceed $10,000 per day. I guess someone somewhere decided that alone is probable cause for money laundering or some other crime.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. It is a bank secrecy act that they passed in the early 70s. They then tied it to the Patriot Act.

It's one of those things that people now accept without a thought that would have caused most Americans to have a stroke throughout our history.

It's an anti-money laundering law. The thing is, it puts the government in charge of monitoring all of us in a Big Brotherish way, and it has them intruding on the lives of people who have done nothing wrong -- under the rationale that they MIGHT be doing something wrong. To me, it's one of those things that is as odious as cops stopping and frisking people because of the way they look or the neighborhood they are in.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Let's go ahead and throw out the possibilities here:

1. Involved with a student he impregnated. Would explain why he had to keep paying. And paying. ($3.5 million is a lot of money.)
    2. Involved with a male student who extorted him to keep his big gay lust secret.
    3. Other?

What kind of other power would someone have over Hastert? Family secret? Illegal business? Drug addiction?

4. MisterCreosote

It's hard to believe this, whatever it is, is anything less than dead girl/live boy territory.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's someone in that little town who has known him their whole life. So you probably got it with 1 or 2. The only other thing I can think of is someone shaking him down for money with regard to something related to his time as a Congressman. There was so much sleaze there that it can be anything. I know there was a lot of smoke around this guy. The one thing I remembered was that former FBI agent turned whistleblower who said the FBI had wiretaps of Hastert accepting bribes from Turks to approve weapons payemnts and deny Armenian genocide, and she was accusing them of burying it. Who knows what this guy has his hands in?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yankeefan in the sin bin again?

He should be all over this one.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Imagine that.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  9. MisterCreosote

I hate being right. What a scumbag.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

So he was Poin Files - Grindr Edition.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If gay marriage were legal, Hastert and his extorter could have married and he could have legally given the guy half of everything he owned. No muss. No fuss. No trouble with the feds.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Way way way back in 2006, during the Mark Foley scandal, the conservative newspaper I was working at would publish daily these sycophantic op/ed pieces extolling the virtues of Dennis Hastert, the kind, gentle, godly leader who showed leading leadership by lubing up and putting on the tights and wrestling with young boys. Then and there my internal ***CREEPER*** alert was on full blast.

You can smell these types from a mile away.

Draft saved Draft deleted