1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by britwrit, May 27, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Somehow this is turning out to be less exciting than the Steve Sanders Blackball episode of 9o210.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

133-73 for Sepp. Technically, need a second ballot because no 2/3 majority.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Prince Ali withdrew. No second round.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You can only laugh.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was wrong.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

You know, there are banana republic elections that are more level than what was held today in Zurich.
    Again- what a fking disgraceful organization.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Prince Ali conceded. Isn't he supposed to be as strong as 10 regular men, faced the galloping hoards and 100 bad guys with swords?

(I'm really sorry, I've had that song in my head since I heard the dude's name was Prince Ali)

Iron_chet likes this.
  8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is anybody really surprised that he was re-elected?

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Not really. I thought some of the guys might secretly vote against him and I guess some did, but not enough. And the rest know where their bread is buttered.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The problem is the one-country, one-vote system within FIFA.

Sepp can grease the skids, and has throughout his presidency, with the 140 smallest nations, all without a prayer of winning a World Cup. He does it with money, which doesn't take a lot with the likes of Singapore, Burkina Faso and Djibouti. A few million in bribes locks in their votes, and bada boom, bada bing.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It's not only that these countries don't have a prayer of winning the WC, most don't have a hope of even making the final round of qualifying. CONCACAF has about 35-40 members and most have never even made it to the 12 team semifinal stage. So basically, these guys are ripe for the picking because there aren't real consequences to most of the decisions.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I would love to see FIFA crushed, but it is important to not make it seem like an attack by the rich West against Africa and Asia.
    Also, let's not complicate this- Washington is getting involved with soccer (strange bedfellows) because it does not want to see Russia host a World Cup.
    A little reading between the lines here.

Draft saved Draft deleted