1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter — The Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by zboyer, Jun 29, 2015.

1. zboyer

zboyer New Member

Ladies and gentlemen,

The Washington Times currently has an opening for a full-time sports reporter. The ideal candidate will be someone who has experience covering professional sports, as the bulk of the job will require covering the Washington Redskins, but there will be plenty of opportunities to cover other events during the offseason. Feature writing, and the ability to think creatively, will be stressed, and the successful candidate will also have to know and understand web publishing software and social media.

To apply, please send me a resume and a brief portfolio at zboyer[at]washingtontimes.com. A cover letter is not necessary. In that portfolio, I'd request that you include five examples of your work, including at least one feature story and breaking news item. (As an aside: We no longer write the traditional "game story," so I'll assume that you know how to do that.)

Those who are interested are required to also apply through a link provided on the website, which will be up shortly at Search Jobs - Washington Times.

Pay is commensurate with experience. We would like to have the ideal candidate start before the Redskins open training camp on July 30, but will not hesitate to go beyond that to find the right person.

Our team at The Washington Times has won multiple awards in the past calendar year, including top-10 beat writing, column writing and enterprise writing honors from the APSE. Our work has also been recognized by the National Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association, the Virginia Press Association and, nationally and locally, by the Society of Professional Journalists.

If there are any additional questions, please e-mail me at zboyer[at]washingtontimes.com and I'll be more than pleased to answer them.

The actual job posting is below.

Thanks,

Zac Boyer
    Sports Editor, The Washington Times

-------

The Washington Times is seeking a Sports Reporter to join an award-winning staff covering sports and related issues in the nation's capital and beyond.

The successful candidate will be versatile and flexible and able to juggle a variety of assignments across different teams and sports. Ideal candidate must be a team player ready to cover a large market and must be willing and able to shift gears on the fly.

We cover primarily professional and college sports in the Washington, D.C., area, though our scope expands to national trends, events and issues.

Enterprise, and the ability to conceive and execute it, are highly valued, but the ability to recognize news and willingness to drop everything to get it posted online are just as critical. Digital and social media skills also are valued.

Night and weekend hours are required. No phone calls please.

The Washington Times is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Small but dedicated crew at The Times. Great opportunity for non-traditional coverage of an always- interesting sports scene.

3. Runner

Runner New Member

Any idea when the job will be posted at the Washington Times website?

4. zboyer

zboyer New Member

Runner likes this.
  5. Potter

Potter Member

This has received surprisingly few replies, though the views are there.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

People tend not to offer up tips about jobs they want for themselves, plus we all know what DC like. When there is a job in McPherson, Kan., this is a good place to share what you know.

DCorNothing and Potter like this.
  7. zboyer

zboyer New Member

Update, for those who have expressed interest in this position:

We have received a sizable number of applications. I have read through every application that I have received and have begun narrowing the field.

Our hope is to have someone in place by mid-August.

Thanks for your interest and your patience.

-Zac

JV37, Potter and Runner like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted