1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's True Detective

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If McConaughey survived being stabbed in the gut so deep he was lifted off his feet at the end of Season 1, I guess it's possible our boy survived two point-blank shotgun blasts to the chest last night.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I did not see that coming...

So the horse head the guy was wearing, any chance that is related to our jolly little band of killers in Season 1?

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice the Lone Star sign in the bar? Was that in episode one, as well?

4. 93Devil

Easter eggs from Season 1.

It has been speculated that Woody's father-in-law was part of the Carcosa Crew. Maybe they continue that into this season with this being the California branch? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Has Pizzalotto (sp) given any indication that there's any overlap whatsoever between seasons one and two? I'm not surprised to see the Lone Star sign -- or even a random Big Hug Mug later this season -- but I haven't read anything that leads me to believe there are any actual storyline overlaps. Unless I missed something.

6. 93Devil

He has not, but linking the two together, even keeping Woody and Matt out of it for this season, would make this series 1000x more interesting.

Plus, the guys was wearing a mask and there was shit hanging on the wall for, hopefully, a really good reason.

7. 93Devil

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The bird mask was also on the seat of the car when the dead guy was being transported in Episode 1.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yes, bird head was shown in a distinctive shot in episode 1 in the car that was driving the dead body.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Season 1 was nihilistic; I'm not sure that I agree it was hateful.
    This season can certainly repeat the nihilism. I hope that it does.
    What it cannot do is express itself through long monologues about nihilism and the absurdity of existence. That was a function of the Rust charatcer and should not be ported over to another character.
    The viewpoint, however, should definitely continue.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, we may disagree, to some degree on what defines overt nihilism in art.

Season one of True Detective was the real sauce. IMO, a lot of shows, even good ones, are just merely nasty pieces of business, through which you or I may infer nihilism.

Season two seems more like a LA kind of story, perhaps pointed at a Ellroy/Chandler kind of conspiracy at work.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Season 1 was great TV. There's really no way for this season to live up to that. The first season was such a surprise.
    It has a Chandler vibe, although using four characters of relatively equal weight detracts from that.

I was unhappy with the first episode because of the ham-fisted approach to characters' backstories.
    Second episode gives me a little more hope.

Draft saved Draft deleted