1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Court rules in favor of gay marriage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 26, 2015.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Man, you are taking this to some seriously dramatic extremes. We all know there are people who fuck around, yet you think it is such a horrific thing that some couples agree to it?

And Sunshine, in truth, I only really know how well my own marriage works, but I think we can form a decent idea of those we know and care about. My assumption based on actually knowing one couple with an open relationship has a hell of a lot more basis to it than what BTE wrote, as an example, which struck me not only as baseless but also a bit sexist.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm going to say this one more time: I don't care who you fuck or how many people you fuck.

I don't think it's "horrific," as you put it.

I also don't think it's "marriage," and think that people who make half-hearted, wishy washy commitments like that have a warped view of "love" and "marriage."

This should not be a controversial opinion.

old_tony likes this.
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I missed that. Can you say it again?

4. MisterCreosote

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Actually I have. A lot.
    It's because it doesn't work FOR ME. I don't like the idea of my wife having a sexual relationship with another man simply out of insecurity that she'll fall for the other guy and it threatens what we've spent 10 years building.
    Deep down, I know I can separate sexual attraction from love but in my heart of hearts, I don't trust my wife could do the same and the risk-reward of being able to sleep with other women isn't worth it to me.
    But that doesn't mean my marriage is somehow "better" or "worse" than another couple's marriage if they can make that distinction. Quite honestly, I wish I could. Some day I may.
    But the idea that you, or anyone really, should be allowed to define what a "real" marriage is based on your perimeters and only your perimeters is a joke.
    Who made you the final arbitrator of what a real marriage is?
    Why can't you just accept that there are people with different viewpoints than your own?

6. MisterCreosote

It's a joke that I have a personal opinion on something?

No one. I never even hinted that I, and I alone, make the rules that govern our entire society.

Acceptance of others' viewpoints ≠ Mandatory agreement with said viewpoints.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's funny. I've found myself writing and/or thinking that last line many times on SJ.com.

No matter how passionately state it, your opinion is still just your opinion, and it seems to come from a place of a lack of understanding of these types of relationships.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The majority of the time the latter "swings" less than the former.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We are really getting comfortable with each other if we have a board member talking in real terms about his wish that his wife could handle getting nailed just for the sake of getting nailed.

Double Down and schiezainc like this.
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Refreshing, isn't it?

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm an oversharer. :)

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'm wondering where the line forms. ???

LongTimeListener and schiezainc like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted