1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Save me from Colin Cowherd!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Dec 3, 2014.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Patrick and cowherd are also at different places in their careers, too.

DP made his money and name for 15 years of doing SportsCenter. His radio show is a coasting job and when I listen to it, it feels like it. Good gig if you can get it.

Cowherd probably has five more years of doing this and it's clear he's trying to find something for the next chapter that isn't this daily grind.

Another tech quirk of 2015. Espn radio has a very easy podcast to access but a few months ago Patrick's show went to a new podcast mainframe and it damn near crashes my iPhone each time. Result is that I don't listen.

During NFL season I'll flip between Cowherd and DP. Rest of the time I am almost always cowherd from Feb to August.

2. The ESPN Radio app is one of the greatest pieces of software known to mankind.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Mike and Mike are the Leave It To Beaver of sports talk radio.

"Gee, Wally, that Tom Brady sure is a swell guy."

If not Wally and Beaver, then maybe Lumpy and the Beav.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Nah, Leave it to Beaver was occasionally entertaining and funny.

slappy4428 likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Cowherd's a smart enough guy, he works very hard, he just has an odd, instinctive worldview that he often tries - and sometimes fails - to project through specific players.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Watched a little bit of Russillo today. Kanell and Cowherd were on. When Cowherd and Russillo were talking, it was pretty good. But once Colin left, it was awful. Kanell is a Grade A douchebag. ESPN could do worse than pairing Russillo with Adnan Virk. Whenever Adnan filled in for SVP, it was still good radio.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What is the WWL doing with Finebaum? The last few times I've listened to him (hey! I'm and SEC fanboi, cut me some slack!) he had a sidekick.

If there's ever a guy NOT in need of a sidekick, it's Finebaum. Just let him interview interesting CFB players/coaches (ok, that list is limited) and the beatwriters (a lot longer list), and sprinkle in the occassional reminder that the State of Alabama is inhabited by living, breathing boxes of rocks.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I get bored with Finebaum. He amuses me for usually about 15-20 minutes but then it always seems to circle back to the idiot callers saying the same stupid things. Usually that stuff annoys the hell out of me. But you pair his slow, dry wit with those idiots and I just get bored and look for something else.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Didn't hear it live, but then listened to Cowherd's interview attempt with Jim Harbaugh today.

That was so awkward, even as a listener.

I guess Cowherd did the right thing by cutting off the interview when he did - though I'd hope he's comfortable with never having him on again. I thought his questions showed him to be horribly unprepared, with no flow and nothing that appeared to be any attempt to get Harbaugh to let his guard down. And the buy/bye thing was brutal. If you can't set up a question better than that, especially when that's a word with such different meanings, that's a big failure on your part.

Jim Harbaugh wasn't too enthused to talk to Colin Cowherd | Dr. Saturday - Yahoo Sports

10. DarkHorses

DarkHorses New Member

I saw the interview live on ESPNU. One of the things that stood out to me at the beginning, which many radio shows do, is that cold open with the host directly going into a question with the guest. That was the thing that Harbaugh stumbled with at the beginning as he expected Cowherd to give him a warm greeting to start the interview. I was even confused with the buy/bye thing as I can understand Harbaugh being confused because he wasn't familiar with Cowherd's jargon.

A Michigan fan called later in the program and put the blame 30% Harbaugh, 70% Cowherd. I think it was more 30% Harbaugh, 50% Cowherd, and 20% ESPN. I think radio shows don't do interview preps anymore because they want the spontaneity of the guest and don't want to be boxed in with a guest demands. Harbaugh and Michigan Athletic Department PR should have talked about groundrules (both good and bad) as well as knowing whether any sensitive subjects (SF) might come up. And ESPN and Cowherd's crew should have presented to Harbaugh that this was an opportunity for him to 'sell' his love of Michigan.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Can't argue with that. The bye/buy thing threw me, too, as did just jumping into a question without a "Thanks for joining us, how are you?" open. I think he opened with asking Harbaugh name a time of day he isn't full-bore intense, which would have put anyone on their heels, I'm thinking.

I'm guessing there were ground rules in place, because Cowherd never even referenced the NFL. But his questions were so scatter-shot that with a guy as defensive as Harbaugh can be, there's no way it was going in a good direction.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I like Russillo but I'm not sure he's a lead dog. Was very good playing off SVP, but this is a much more complex gig as title talent.

Draft saved Draft deleted