1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Upgraded to newest version of Xenforo due to security issue

Discussion in 'SJ Site News & Suggestions' started by Jeff, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

I just upgraded the forum to the newest version of Xenforo--they pushed a new release about half-an-hour ago that patched a recently-discovered security flaw: XenForo 1.4.8 Released (Includes Security Fix) | XenForo Community

As always, if you hit any problems or unexpected issues let me know.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Best thing you ever did, Jeff, was put in a function that let's us upload photos from a desktop or phone. Quality.

3. Jeff

Thanks. I think the easy uploading is built into Xenforo. Not sure how everyone around here feels about Xenforo, but I certainly have been really happy with it as a software platform.

I'd still like to spend some time tweaking the theme and improving the aesthetics around here. One of these days I'll get to it--just seems like other stuff keeps bumping it down the priority list.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is anybody else having trouble with the video ads? They are loud and coming up quite a bit. When I try to pause them or turn the sound down, it does not work.

5. Jeff

Video ads should not be auto-playing sound. I hate auto-playing audio and always turn them off in the network settings. However, the scammers still slip through the network (generally the network shuts them down as soon as they're discovered). So that is likely what is happening here. In order to shut it down, I need to report it to the network, and they generally need the destination url. If you can right click on the video ad and select 'copy link' or similar, then PM me the link and I'll report it to the network.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Jeff, sorry about that. I completely forgot to check back on this thread. It seems like the problem was addressed, but I'll let you know if I see something like that again. Thanks.

Jeff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted