1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With gay marriage decided, what will be the next big left-led social change?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Best opening line in Reykjavik: Hey baby, foreigner here, check out my differentiated DNA.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Have you ever read about the East Ramapo (NY) school district troubles? Apparently there's a pretty elevated risk of birth defects among the Hasidim given how close-knit and procreative their communities are.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My sister played professional basketball in Iceland. She noted that other American athletes, military types and foreign tourists were in high demand when they went out.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

SJ outing in Iceland!?!?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Asexual rights!

MC's head might explode:

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, for starters, if polygamy is legalized, your wife may want to find a second or third husband.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Oh please. First, as DW said, that doesn't really work for cousins. Second, people marry every day after genetic testing predicts high risks of bad disease. Consenting adults, eyes open, what's the problem. If 40 year old brother and sister say they're in love, why should the state intervene? To protect a hypothetical unborn child? What if they promise to use birth control, and you test them periodically and abort any children?

I never understood the "rape and incest" carve out on abortions either. Why should abortion be allowed more for a consenting, adult woman who was involved in an incestuous relationship than a non-incestuous one?

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Well, I don't think you'll find a whole lot of rape and incest that is consensual.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because when "incest" is mentioned in the debate, they're not talking about adult women.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Then it's rape.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Hell, yes!!! I'm in.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But I'm an old white man from Texas and laughing at those silly Jeffersons is just as good!

'Cosby Show' comedy had a serious impact - The Boston Globe

How The Cosby Show spoke to race and class in ’80s America · TV Club 10 · The A.V. Club

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/08/arts/television/08cosb.html?_r=0

But one idea seems to be gaining traction, and improbably it has Bill Cosby and Karl Rove in agreement: “The Cosby Show,” which began on NBC in 1984 and depicted the Huxtables, an upwardly mobile black family — a departure from the dysfunction and bickering that had characterized some previous shows about black families — had succeeded in changing racial attitudes enough to make an Obama candidacy possible.

On election night Mr. Rove, the former Bush strategist, said on Fox News: “We’ve had an African-American first family for many years in different forms. When ‘The Cosby Show’ was on, that was America’s family. It wasn’t a black family. It was America’s family.”

Dr. Alvin F. Poussaint, a psychiatrist at the Jude Baker Children’s Center in Boston and a professor at Harvard Medical School who was a script consultant on “The Cosby Show,” said in an interview that “there were a lot of young people who were watching that show who are now of voting age.”

Dr. Poussaint added: “When ‘The Cosby Show’ first came on, it was a professional, middle-class family. And they said, ‘That’s not a black family.’ We heard it from blacks and whites. I think that’s why Karl Rove calls it postracial, because it was universal.”

Draft saved Draft deleted