1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strange names

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GermanKeyser, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Southern Miss' former softball coach was Gay McNutt.

Also came across a trackster from Kansas State named Ifeanyichukwu Otuonye. Saw his name and thought I was looking at an eye chart.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

In my corner of the world in which a 'minority' was significantly more likely to be Native than Black, the arrival of a burly brother named Chuck Knuckles a few years ago didn't go unnoticed, though he was much more effective in the much-whiter world of the shot put than as a basketball player.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Last month at my son's college graduation, you get the pleasure of hearing some 3,000 names called. Most are called out by their formal first, middle, last name that's on their official record.

And I may not have the right last name right below, but I sure did get a chuckle out of the first and middle:

Race Bannon Smith.

The Johnny Quest lovin' parents certainly had to be proud of their graduate.

HC likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I didn't encounter her on the beat, but I met a woman named Gypsy-Storm Spirit (had a regular last name akin to Smith) the other day.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Areal Gentle Mann

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Chinese-American citizen where I live: Win Every Day.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My favorite Chinese name ever is still the catcher for China's Olympic baseball team several cycles ago: Wang Wei. That's pronounced "Wong Way."

My second favorite was a guy whose name I saw in the phone book when I was a kid: Fu Ling Yu.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Long lost cousin of Heywood Jablome?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wu's on first?

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Met a colleague from another post. She introduced me to her family. Her daughter is Zane, and her husband's name is J.

Draft saved Draft deleted