1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women's World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Key, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Hooliganism hasn't been an issue in a couple of decades. I think the FA has confined it to Millwall. :)

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Except for the team that wins, no team has as good a WWC as England. Totally unexpected finish, unprecedented national attention for the team.

To the Germans who may complain about the PK call: Don't drag someone down in the box in extra time. Obvious foul, easy call for the ref, absolutely stupid play by the defender.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Agreed. It sucks to have the game decided by a PK in extra time, but don't tackle the forward in the penalty box. It was a really dumb defensive play.

Both defenses played well today (that foul notwithstanding). But lord, those offenses looked inept. I don't want this to come off the wrong way, because I really genuinely enjoy the women's game... but it's amazing to me how many of the players on high-level teams can't perform just basic skills in a game situation. An English player had an easy goal if she could just one-touch it, but she couldn't. A German player had an easy goal on a header late in extra time, and misplayed it so badly it went off her shoulder.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, England's best offensive player by far throughout the tournament was Jodie Taylor, and today she didn't even play. Almost like it was pre-determined so others could get some WC PT. She is a pretty accomplished player/finisher who, strangely, didn't even get a sniff for the National team from the previous coaching staff.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It was a tired play by the German defender, but the English player really exaggerated the contact, and she was going down even before she was actually tugged.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That misplay by the Englishwoman in front of the goal. Ay yi yi. Let's just be polite and say it wasn't "world class".

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm constantly amazed about "own goals" in high-level soccer -- mainly, that they're essentially looked upon as unavoidable things that "just happen," and own-goal scorers are rarely if ever harshly or publicly criticized.
    Bottom line, given the extremely low-scoring nature of the game and the huge significance of single goals, you'd think coaches would make bigger deals of own-goals and tell players to never ever ever do things that can result in own-goals.

I can't really think of any other sport where players (relatively) frequently do things that result in hugely impactful opposition scores and it's just kind of waved off as part of the game.

I understand WHY they happen -- players do things with a risk of own-goals to avoid opponents getting high-percentage scoring chances -- but you'd think coaches would do some bottom line stat analysis and say, "Own goals are so catastrophic to your team's chances to win, you should absolutely avoid them at almost any cost."

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It remindes me of my wife who complains any time an NBA player misses a free throw.

OF COURSE they don't want own goals. The difference between an own goal and a good clear may be a half an inch on your cleat. Unless you want defenders to stop using their feet to clear altogether, I don't see how its not going to happen from time to time.

Have there really been a rash of own goals this tournament? I know one shit team had 3 in the group stage. But that is a team that shouldn't be playing on the world state.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Wow. Rapinoe is sublime.

11. Webster

Great play. What a tournament for Lloyd.

12. Webster

Draft saved Draft deleted