1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'15 NBA Draft/Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by amraeder, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Hibbert to the Lakers. He should get along great with Kobe.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Fuck yeah!!! Lakers miss out on plans A, B, C, D, E, F, and G, then end up with Hibbert.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It will be all love. No homo.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I kind of liked the idea of maybe Hibbert needing a change of scenery from Indiana, to reestablish his game and what not. However, I don't really think that place is going to be L.A., with Kobe as a teammate, Byron Scott as the coach and the Lakers in a weird sort of "win now!" mode at all times.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Aldridge to the Spurs. Pop is not fucking around.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Between GS, SA and OKC, the west might put up three 60-win teams if they dont all clobber each other. That group is just wildly talented.

7. sgreenwell

Today, ESPN is reporting that the Cavs are looking into a trade for Joe Johnson, using either the Brendan Hayward expiring, non-guaranteed contract as bait, or Anderson Varajeo if the Nets want a big man who can play back. The Lakers also reached an agreement with Lou Williams.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

just for curiosity's sake, is there a team that could make an offer to LeBron James that could pay him anything close to what Cleveland could pay him.
    He's technically a free agent, so contacting him is not against any rule.

9. sgreenwell

Any team can offer him a max contract, but they're probably not going to even bother going through the motions, since it would be a horrific public image hit for him to even take a meeting from another team at this point. The cap is going to go up each of the next two to four years, IIRC, which is why he wants one-year deals. He knows he's good enough to get the max even if he missed a huge amount of time to injury, for example. The year to year contracts also let him exert more control over the Cavs in a way - If things do get super toxic, then he can just bolt. It also makes it easier for him in the future, if he wants to, do a Miami Heat or Dirk or Duncan-like deal to fit someone else in under the cap.

10. heyabbott

Why wouldn't someone at least make him an offer. 1 year 30 milion, pay th luxury tax

11. sgreenwell

How do you propose that they force him or his agent to take a meeting...? I mean, what you're saying is akin to me offering myself to Jennifer Garner. She's technically single, but she's under no obligation to share a meal with me. (Or more likely, since I'm living on a reporter's salary, sharing a clown sundae at Friendly's.) Likewise, while Lebron is technically a free agent, he and his agent aren't going to be meeting with anybody but the Cavs. Similar thing - Tim Duncan is technically a free agent, but he'll sign his deal with the Spurs after Aldridge, because you can go over the cap to re-sign your own free agents.

12. heyabbott

Put a full page ad in the NY Post. The picture of a check that says Pay to the order of LeBron James and leave the amount line blank. And sign it "The New York Knicks". Great PR, offer him a blank check and see what happens

Songbird likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted