1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Digital First Media hopes to transform workflow, culture of ‘newspaper facto

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So, in other words, he's bolting.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I wrote a little vignette on him when he came to the gallery. Really nice young guy. Been here 2 months.

And yes, he did.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

According to the article the Manchester Journal no longer has any reporters. Which provides a good explanation about why they did not run anything on the layoffs.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like they want the writers to work all day and night, putting up little pieces of stories on twitter and other places. Good luck with overtime laws on this. News reporters are a lot different from sports reporters. They tend to put every hour worked on a time card. If you are working all day those news twitter-ers will be paid for it. And believe me if you are tweeting 9 to 5 then tweeting more at night, that is work. And news organizations simply won't pay for work. This plan sounds ridiculous to me. Sounds like you are working 24/7. And not being paid for it. And then you still have to write it up for the newspaper. The guy admitted the print product will remain as well. LOL.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I didn't know this guy but am not surprised at the reaction of people. There are a lot of evil people in this business if that's the right word. If these people want to be "ruthless" and treat people like crap they deserve this type of reaction when they pass away. It's heartless but not really. If a person's entire life is to step on the little guy to continue to get pay raises from upper management then it should not surprise anybody when the little people "spit on his grave" so to speak.

Draft saved Draft deleted