1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job search communication

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by busch, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Without naming the place, this happened recently. It is a large publication but recently, I've been told there have been some internal problems at the place. I deserve to know what happened because I woke up at the asscrack of dawn (which is pretty damn dark I might add) to make the flight there and to return home. I was beat. I thought I had a good shot at the gig. I guess that's the way things go in the hiring process. If they called me now and said the gig was mine, I'd decline. I know it would be a foolish move.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Totally agree, and this complaint has been going around in the business for years. And it's only gotten worse as time has become more valuable. As for outside the biz, I would guess it is because of the volume of resumes they're seeing. And some managers are just dicks.

LesJ9488 likes this.
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

This isn't a new phenomenon in journalism. I sent a ton of applications out in late 2001, early 2002. Had a half-dozen interviews, all but one of them in person (and all of them within a day's drive, at my expense). The interview process included laying out a sample page, proofreading tests, writing a story and/or an "intelligence" test.

At every interview I was told "we'll call you either way."

I heard back from one newspaper and the copy desk chief was genuinely distraught because, at the last minute, they decided not to fill the position. He was gracious to let me know I would have been hired, and we commiserated about how miserable this business is. It sure hasn't gotten better in the past 13-plus years.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I knew a guy who was the SE at a smaller paper in Fla., and someone bitched on a job thread here, IIRC, about not hearing back when he missed out on a job. That was at least 15 years ago.

5. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Is this just a problem in journalism, or does it exist in all industries?

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Apparently it's spreading, as others above have said they've applied elsewhere and had the same experiences.

ETA: It always amuses me that we're in the communication business and too many people fail to actually communicate well.

EddieM and Doc Holliday like this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Is it just being lazy, or is part of the lack of response out of fear of being sued?

8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

One of my best friends works in software sales, and it's been a problem for him. He was laid off about six months ago when his company was bought by a competitor, and he then applied for dozens of jobs. Didn't hear a thing from the companies that weren't interested, and three of the first four places he interviewed never responded (the other sent a rejection email). The fifth company he interviewed with hired him.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's catch as catch can I reckon but to pay for someone to fly in, rent a car and a hotel room as well as pick up incidentals just for an interview, and then not tell them a decision is pitiful.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Happened to me once. I believe it was the former, but I was told the latter.
    After phone and in-person interviews, I waited a couple of weeks for a notification of my status. I finally called and reached the SE -- I think I caught him by surprise. He hemmed and hawed briefly then told me I wasn't their guy. I asked how I didn't measure up so I could work to improve. He said he could not say anything because of slander laws.

11. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

This is an issue in all industries that I've observed.

There's not enough time to give everyone a personalized rejection, so you could do a mass rejection letter, but that feels impersonal and almost as rude as not letting them know so it's not really worth the time. Plus then you get a bunch of responses of "What was wrong with me?" which you aren't allowed to reply to in a large company due to HR policies/risks about lawsuits.

I've hired multiple direct reports, and since I owned the company, I generally tried to reach out to anyone who got as far as an interview and let them know if I passed... but in pretty much all cases I couldn't address anything on the soft-side like 'you came across as arrogant', I could only address any deficiencies they had skills wise like 'We wanted someone who already had experience in XYZ part of the job." It's tough to be simultaneously honest and helpful on areas they can study up on, yet when in doubt just staying silent on anything I wasn't sure I could talk about.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

All industries. And I don't think journalism ever had it exclusively.

Draft saved Draft deleted