1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HBO's True Detective

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Feb 11, 2014.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

"What kind of way is that to greet the world?" - Vince Vaughn, who really showed some range this week. The beginning of the episode, he couldn't get off from a BJ. By the end, punching out one half of the Wild Samoans. (Oh, but still not effing. Poor Kelly Reilly.)

Still though. I'll stick with this season, but I'm definitely not enjoying it as much as the first. It's all so friggin' dark and conflicted, but then they're doing stuff like leaving Colin Farrell alive after the cliffhanger last week.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'll keep watching it, too, but I don't think this season will be a Godfather II to the first season Godfather. Right now I'm just hoping for Rocky II.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying it, but it just can't live up to the first season.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

But can it live up to the first season, tho?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

not enough gratuitous female nudity for HBO.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I am being a bit redundant.

And repetitive.

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Well I didn't see that coming. I figured it would be at least a couple more episodes before the case "resolution." From the previews after the episode, it looks like the rest of the season will be our group working on their own for the real resolution.

Funny the three main characters are the only left standing after that bloodbath. Wonder how that happened. Four episodes in, Ferrell's now survived getting shot in the chest and being in the middle of a massive shootout.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Tonight was the end for me. I find Vaughn to be a terrible actor in this (part of it is the bad writing) and I've reached the limit of watching miserable people be miserable.

I gave it a fair shot watching all the episodes to this point, but I'm done.

9. Uhh, see ya.

This fourth episode was the best yet this season. The first 30 minutes or so were pretty dense, but the second-half was some of the best television all year.

(And the early individual-episode ratings on IMDB have this at a 9.2/10, easily the highest rating this season)

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Some of the best television all year? You must not watch a lot of television. It was good, though. But the first 40 minutes almost negates it. I rarely, if ever, complain about the writing on television shows, but good lord. This is some of the worst. I'll watch the rest of the season because that's what I do, but I really hope it gets better.

Goddamn. I feel like Buck now.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's weird, too, because it's the same guy writing it this season that wrote it last season. But yeah, some of the dialogue they've handed Vaughn this year reads like stuff they pulled out of George Lucas' trash can.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It wasn't that well written last year, but it had the advantage of being nihilistic to the nth degree, which is unique.

Draft saved Draft deleted