1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Cup Mania

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

More viewers yesterday than the NBA Finals or the Stanley Cup Finals averaged. I guess those are sports with small but loyal followings as well.

Ace likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Soccer evangelists always trot this out. The only valid ratings comparison would be all 30 NHL or NBA teams had a big royal rumble for the title, on an afternoon. This was a national team.

That said: Yes, hockey is a sport with a small but loyal following. People should watch it some time. They actually take shots.

3. Inky_Wretch

And soccer trolls always trot out the same bullshit year after year too. You don't like it? Fine. But quit trolling. It makes you look like an impotent douchebag. Like Boom, in other words.

JackReacher likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's not that I hate soccer. I'm pretty indifferent to it. It's cricket to me, basically.

But I'm definitely fascinated to watch the kind of people who get worked up about the World Cup. They aren't baseball or football or basketball or hockey fans. They are "Downton Abbey" fans. So strange.

YankeeFan and doctorquant like this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

[​IMG]

LongTimeListener likes this.
  6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

At least the U.S. women win. Getting all worked up to finish seventh every four years seems a tad pointless.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'd posit that the NBA is just as big as soccer, if not bigger, among the beard-and-fixie set.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Dick finally shows a sense of humor and you assholes are bitching about it. #begrateful

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

o

I like soccer fine. Downton Abbey is a little too risque for me, though.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Yea, guessing a marketing campaign built around the tagline "Leave it to a woman if you want something done" would sting a bit for the men's squad.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

When are they playing this thing? Not that it really matters; if they played in my front yard I wouldn't watch. But I would scream at them, "Get off my lawn!"

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Brother-in-law does the whole USA! USA! ELEVENTY!!! bit on Facebook yesterday. One of his friends commented to the effect that several members of the team were former UNC-CH players. I almost commented thusly: "The people who wrote their papers for them must be so proud!" But I didn't. I thought it might be bigoted of me, and I'd hate to get on cranberry's shit list.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted