1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2015

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Key

Key Well-Known Member

My team's floundering and I need offensive help.

I give Gio Gonzales and DL'd Drew Smyly
    I get Ian Kinsler and Adam Eaton

Thoughts?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Seems to me, you are trading for Kinsler on name recognition. His production is way down this season and he is old enough that you can't assume he will rebound. Who would Kinsler and Eaton be replacing in your lineup? It's tough to say how much that deal could help you without comparing those guys to what you already have.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I get:
    Brian McCann
    Albert Pujols
    Hanley Ramirez
    Felix Hernandez
    Chris Young (P for KC, not OF for NYY)

I send:
    Yasmany Grandal
    Todd Frazier
    Kolten Wong

McCann is an upgrade over Grandal for this season, but Grandal would be a 25th rounder next year. Pujols is a slight downgrade from Frazier. Ramirez is a huge upgrade over Addison Russell (though Miguel Sano has promise at SS). Wong is expendable with Devon Travis back from the DL and hitting .409.

Felix would add to my rotation including Matt Harvey, Syndergaard, Bumgarner, Pineda.

4. outofplace

If I remember and understand your league properly, that's a big hit to your keeper list, correct? Would you be able to keep any of the guys you are getting back?

I certainly like the deal for this season, though I think Chris Young is waiver fodder. He has these great stretches, but he always either gets hurt or his mechanics get screwed up.

I like it, but I think you need to at least consider what your keeper list will look like after the trade.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

FOr this year it's a steal. I don't know what the keeper implications are, but if they're not bad & you're in the race accept before it's cancelled.

6. bigpern23

Frazier is the only one who makes me question it. He'll be a 23rd round pick next year (each year, every keeper moves up two rounds from where they were selected the year before), which means he could be a mainstay of my team until he declines. Grandal would be a 25th rounder next year, so there's exceptional value in those two. Wong would be a 5th rounder, and likely not a keeper.

OOP, I wouldn't likely keep any of the players I'd be receiving except for possibly McCann, who would be a 7th rounder next year. So it's totally an all-in, win this year kind of move. Agreed on Young being waiver fodder. I'm not even really sure why he included him in the trade. I've countered to replace Young with Ellsbury and I added in Kendrys Morales and Jason Motte (both of whom I'd have to drop if the trade went through).

My keeper list next year would look like this:
    Harvey (14th round)
    Syndergaard (22nd round)
    Addison Russell (23rd round)
    Devon Travis (24th round)

Fifth keeper would be a choice between:
    McCann (7th round) or
    Miguel Sano (25th round) or
    Aaron Judge (25th round)

7. outofplace

Sano as a 25th rounder isn't bad at all in place of Frazier. He's a fantastic talent.

I think you do it. You've got a chance to win now and you can rebuild around some young keepers next year.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. bigpern23

Same league, different trade offer:
    Receive:
    J. Upton
    Maikel Franco
    Jason Hammel

Trade:
    Harvey
    Lind
    Motte

Harvey would be a 14th rounder next year, but Franco would make an excellent keeper and Hammel could replace (or improve upon) Harvey's production this season. Upton is a nice upgrade in the OF. Think I'm going to make this deal. Added bonus: It doesn't involve any of the players in my other trade talks.

9. outofplace

Just out of curiosity, what round is Franco?

I do think there is some risk of Franco falling on his face in the second half. I like him long term, but I still don't trust him completely for 2015.

Hammel is the opposite. I think this is a career year and I doubt he does this again, but he should be solid ther est of the way. That and the addition of Upton certainly makes it worthwhile for this year.

10. bigpern23

Franco will be a 25th rounder. He was picked up off waivers a few weeks ago. I don't need Franco this season with Arenado at 3B, but he'd make a good 25th rounder next year. Agreed on Hammel. I wouldn't keep him, but his peripherals are strong enough (and he pitched well enough last year) to give me confidence in him the rest of this season.

11. outofplace

I agree with you. It's a good trade. The other guy is putting too much value on Harvey and a sort-of closer.

Regarding Arenado, I know he would cost you a first rounder next year, but he could end up going that high in redrafts next season. Just sayin'.

12. bigpern23

Arenado's certainly worth a pick that high, especially since I'll hopefully be picking late in the first round. However, I may find more value in keeping someone who costs me a 25th-round pick. Arenado is certainly making his case as a keeper, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted