1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 5, 2015.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Jake, I'm not sure a Royals fan should be making fun of how any other team's supporters voted or responded to the voting for the All-Star game.

That said, anybody arguing against Posey as the NL catcher needs to shut up.

I did see something in May about pitch framing statistics, which apparently show that Molina's ability to frame pitches has dropped dramatically from past years. Of course, that just makes me think the pitch framing statistics are a joke. How would you suddenly lose that skill?

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The voting process is a joke, but I think Royals fans were kinda in on the joke. Hense continuing to vote for Infante when most Royals fans didn't want him in the Kansas City lineup, let alone the AL lineup.

My point was just how Molina, a great player for sure, turned into a God equal to 1,000 Johnny Benches in the eyes of the Best Fans in Baseball and any debate suggesting otherwise prompts weird, homophobic tantrums.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. outofplace

I'm sure some fans thought it was funny to vote Infante, but there were also a lot of KC fans stuffing the ballot box to the point it was ridiculous.

But yes, some Cardinals fans are irrational. There is no doubt about that.

5. outofplace

Speaking of the Cardinals, they might be hitting the Pirates at the right time for a four-game series in Pittsburgh later this week. The Pirates put Josh Harrison on the DL today due to torn ligaments in his thumb. He's out six weeks. Starling Marte left Sunday's game with what sure looks like an oblique injury. So far, he's not on the DL, but he said today that it hurts when he swings, runs or breathes, so that doesn't sound promising. That team does not have the depth to go any length of time with both of those guys out of the lineup.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Carrasco won't have a no-hitter.

Might not have a 3rd inning.

Threw 39 in 1st, down 4-0.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I try not to get too exercised about All-Star selections anymore, but A-Rod would have been a better choice than any of the seven relievers Yost picked in the AL.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I was fully prepared to dispute that and ... I can't after looking at them.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Chris Sale vs. Mark Buehrle underway in Chicago right now. Sale going for a record-breaking ninth straight double-digit strikeout game. Most White Sox fans cheering for 0-0 through nine.

10. outofplace

I can understand some of them. but Kelvin Herrera? The third-best reliever on his own team? That is ridiculous. They could have done without Darren O'Day as well. I have no problem with Perkins, Britton, Davis, Betances and Boxberger making the team.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am glad to see Brock Holt as the only Red Sox named. For him, it's a deserved honor. Otherwise, are we now surprised here when Ned Yost makes a mistake?

12. outofplace

The NL roster isn't bad. Not sure why they needed three second basemen and only two shortstops while relegating Tulowitzki to the final vote. His power numbers are down a bit, but he is still a better player than LeManieu or Panik.

At first glance, I question Molina making the team, but they do need a third catcher and none of the other candidates in the NL have a great claim.

Draft saved Draft deleted