1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Save me from Colin Cowherd!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Dec 3, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I like Russillo, but he'd be pretty boring on his own.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I get the sense that ESPN is trying to land a big name for Rusillo's time slot and that this is just a placeholder. If they REALLY wanted Rusillo to be the lead guy, they would have named a permanent sidekick and moved ahead. They have not.

They can get away with it for six more weeks until NFL gets into the true preseason. After that they need to be locked in on a lineup.

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I had the day off yesterday and was watching Patrick on NBC Sports. I happened to think about this thread and turned it over to Cowherd about 10:30ish. I was just in time to see the last half of the Harbaugh interview. Cowherd then ranted for three or so minutes after the interview and said Harbaugh didn't know how to sell his program.

No Cowherd, he knows how to sell his program to recruits. He doesn't know your jargon or your personality because he doesn't watch your show. You play to him; he doesn't have to play to you. Your the host, he's the guest. I've never seen or heard Patrick (nor any other interviewer) seem to think they're more important than an interviewee.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I don't get the sense that, when it comes to the media, Harbaugh has any particular plan.

5. Harbaugh's interview was embarrassing. I completely side with Cowherd on that.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If Cowherd can't make sure the subject knows whether he's talking about bye or buy, he failed. That whole thing, from the lack of a greeting to the way he jumped from subject to subject, sounded like a high school radio station sports guy shitting his way through an interview.

Tweener and SFIND like this.
  7. EddieM

EddieM Member

I rarely defend Colin (and I do think his line of questioning was bad), but it might be more difficult to NOT have a slightly awkward interview with Harbaugh than the alternative.

My bigger problem with Mr. 'Herd is his tendency to make gross, sweeping generalizations about ethnic or economic groups with only a semblance of fact behind it. It's frustrating because it probably sounds convincing to those who haven't had to do much research on such issues, so to me it's an irresponsible use of the platform. Anyone taking him at his word would have a horribly misguided representation of American demographics, and it's hard to blame them for not doing the homework when he should.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You're talking about Cowherd. That's all "the suits" care about.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Cannot agree with the "completely" part, as it was the "buy/bye" confusion that really threw that interview into the unsalvageable zone, and that was entirely Cowherd's fault. It was just an inexcusably stupid way to phrase that question. I wasn't sure what the hell he meant when he first asked it either, so I can't blame Harbaugh for being equally confused.

Lesson for interviewers, before trying to sound overly hip with your lingo, first make sure you phrase your questions in a way that makes it clear what the hell it is you're asking.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I knew that Van Pelt was out but to see "The Russillo Show" on my Sirius display yesterday was weird. I immediately thought what you wrote, this can't possibly be a permanent fix. As for the two of them together, I thought it was a B-plus show. It was a turnoff when Van Pelt acted like "SVP", i.e. a mini-Dan Patrick (let's talk about me!), but otherwise OK.

I like Cowherd during football season, he knows what he's talking about and I appreciate that he'll talk sensibly about gambling, which other ESPN shows either keep at arm's length or do a terrible job with. On the other hand if you listen to Cowherd talk baseball you're going to end up screaming.

And for the 10,000th time, Mike & Mike suck. Last time I heard them, they were talking about their latest dopey bet where the loser had to sing or something. Hey boys, how about betting a year's salary on something? That'll have Greenberg wetting himself.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The next time Mike & Mike will be relevant is when Golic comes out of the closet.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

There is a big part of me that wants to hear Rusillo succeed but I just don't think he has that quarterback feel. He's a possession receiver. He's Julian Edelman, a QB at a lower level who can take a few snaps here but he can't lead a franchise.

Unless you're an oversized personality (Cowherd, LeBatard, even Kornheiser), you have to have bold segments. Rusillo feels like he's trying to play all of this safe, similar to when he and SVP were together. Like Tirico-safe but some controversy in radio is good.

Rusillo listens like he still thinks he has an outside shot at the permanent job but it unwilling to go out and win it, merely hoping he doesn't lose it.

Draft saved Draft deleted